• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "You're all going to hate me..."

Collapse

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    They could see a bit of the balcony, i.e. if an adult was standing on the balcony waving they'd see them.

This would help them only if the apartment was on fire! They certainly couldn't see into the apartment, which is where the kids were.
    The picture was taken in broad daylight as well, not in the dark when the abduction took place - I doubt whether the apartment was floodlit..

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall
    The Sun showed a pic taken by the previous occupant of the McCann's apartment a few days back, if the story is correct they were about 50m away with a view of the apartment balcony. I can see how you'd be tempted to do what they did especially as part of a big group and within a complex.

They could see a bit of the balcony, i.e. if an adult was standing on the balcony waving they'd see them.

This would help them only if the apartment was on fire! They certainly couldn't see into the apartment, which is where the kids were.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by oxtailsoup
    Wasn't Maddy supposed to have been taken through the balcony window?

Sally... I'm with you now, this doesn't add up!

No seriously, I'm still convinced they didn't do it. Just a little less convinced that's all.
    You just enjoy sitting with the spikey end of a fence post rammed up your jacksie

Leave a comment:

• oxtailsoup
    replied
    if the story is correct they were about 50m away with a view of the apartment balcony
    Wasn't Maddy supposed to have been taken through the balcony window?

Sally... I'm with you now, this doesn't add up!

No seriously, I'm still convinced they didn't do it. Just a little less convinced that's all.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    I have to say that I would not leave two children of that age without a baby sitter or child minder in attendance, though I might if they were within 100 yards of where I was eating, within the same complex.

I would need to see the place.

DA in "off to Portugal to determine for myself" mode
    The Sun showed a pic taken by the previous occupant of the McCann's apartment a few days back, if the story is correct they were about 50m away with a view of the apartment balcony. I can see how you'd be tempted to do what they did especially as part of a big group and within a complex.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
    "Sean and Amelie, aged two."
    I have to say that I would not leave two children of that age without a baby sitter or child minder in attendance, though I might if they were within 100 yards of where I was eating, within the same complex.

I would need to see the place.

DA in "off to Portugal to determine for myself" mode

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    Fair question. How old are they?
    "Sean and Amelie, aged two."

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I don't think the parents had anything to do with her disappearance but I cannot understand how they could have left the babies alone.

Not because of what happened to Maddy. But the fact that you just don't leave two young babies (the twins) alone in a room and go out. What if those two babies had an incident whilst they were away? For example choking on something (just an example) the parents wouldn't have heard a thing. That's what I can't get my head around. Its the fact that two educated people could leave two babies alone. And I think that is irresponsible.
    Fair question. How old are they?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by scon_ead
    Are you really that ignorant or are you just being facetious?...

Which part do you disagree with?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    I don't think the parents had anything to do with her disappearance but I cannot understand how they could have left the babies alone.

Not because of what happened to Maddy. But the fact that you just don't leave two young babies (the twins) alone in a room and go out. What if those two babies had an incident whilst they were away? For example choking on something (just an example) the parents wouldn't have heard a thing. That's what I can't get my head around. Its the fact that two educated people could leave two babies alone. And I think that is irresponsible.
    Educated does not mean possessing common sense

Leave a comment:

• oxtailsoup
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scon_ead
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll

Plus
    aren't there related scousers involved somewhere.... the two are a recipe for disaster
    Are you really that ignorant or are you just being facetious?...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Fair enough, but people deal with these things in many different ways. My mother dealt with my fathers death by completely ignoring it, and even though he was killed in air crash she had no desire to find out how it happened.

If you had seen the mother's face in the early days of Madeleine's disappearance she did not stop crying.

What I find remarkable is how people like you react, you seem to automatically default to assume the worst of the victims. Is it the same as believing there must be a god because so many things are unexplained by science? Is it the same syndrome whereby humans kick the weak and laud the evil? What is worse trhough is the pious scumbags who jump on the judgement bandwagon and implicitly say that they deserve what they get.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    I just dont get how, since day 1, they've been able to function. I dont understand any of their behaviour. I dont get how they aren't in constant tears!

Take their crimewatch appeal the other day...just before their spot, there was a mam who's son had been murdered months ago...she couldn't speak for crying. "I just want him back" she wailed again and again. THIS is normal behaviour. Then them two came on and acted like politicians - no real emotion in their voices. Holding up clothes that she had been wearing etc..no tears, no emotion!

And they've been like that pretty much since day 1......and when do they break down? When a journalist mentions that people are starting to think that they had somethign to do with it!! Triggered a sore point did it?

I dont understand ANY of their bahaviour though, not just the emotional side....I dont get how they can leave their other 2 kids. Regardless of who they're leaving them with - how can they be seperated from them? They are choosing to do this tour of Europe, even though everyone (including the vatican ffs) have said they will accomodate the twins! But no, they go alone...both of them.

Thye kids during this are left with relatives...but even when they were in Portugal, they took them to a creche every day!!!! Strangers!!! Howey man - who the **** would do that?!

I dont get how they haven't fought with each other - why aren't they being completely irrational and blaming each other? Again, this doesn't seem normal to me.

I dont get the "Hello" style photo shoots with smiling faces a fortnight after Madeline went missing. How would it be physically possible to crack a smile?

On Friday they're attending a jazz concert ffs. Yes it's in madelines name, but even so!!! How can they do that? Another night away from their twins, and another night where they aren't just hiding under their duvet crying, on depression tablets, trying to kill themselves....all things that normal parents would be doing now!

If they haven't been involved in the disappearance, then all credit to them. I hope the worst they're guilty of is behaving like robots! But every instinct and reaction in my body is screaming that this behaviour isn't normal.
    Ever heard of a stiff upper lip? not wearing your heart on your sleeve?
    I'm glad these qualities have not been completely lost.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
    Do you mean before or after the abduction?

If before, they should have taken the kids to the restaurant or stayed in and eaten at home. They are guilty of child neglect - and get away with it as middle class. If working class they would have been hung out to dry by now. Same with the director of Swiss Re.
    In the olden days when Old Greg was a nipper, it was not unheard of for children to be left on their own. I don't buy this child neglect business - I think we're just too risk averse nowadays - we see it with kids not being allowed to cycle, or to walk to school. Obviously when you do take risks, things like this will happen from time to time. But I'm not sure we've got the balance right (but maybe I'll feel differently when I've got my own).

As for the class business - I reckon you're right in that a working class parent (perhaps somewhere less respectable than a restaurant, like the local boozer) would have received a rougher ride from the press. But I don't think that would be justified so I see no reason to inflict the same on these 2.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X