• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills"

Collapse

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Ah.... WordStar... it seemed such an improvement on the line editor I used on the General Automation mini... my first introduction to the pc... what joy.

Control-k b, control K k, control k Y...

And stuff.

I could make it fly on the amstrad having setup all the function keys.

Then again, "@1/5,p" seems to be engraved on my memory (lists the first 5 lines of the file you've just opened in the GA editor).
    Did anyone else ever use Wordwise, another tag-based text editor which came as a chip for the BBC micro?

Leave a comment:

• fzbucks
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    I haven't seen an Apple computer for 10 years, but they seem to be doing OK somewhere, aren't they?

Anyone remember Apricot computers?

Or any other fruits?
    My friend had an apricot - from what I remember it was like an old 286/386 running what looked like an amiga workbench style OS
    Last edited by fzbucks; 28 May 2007, 08:38.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by miss marple
    I too have stuck ticker tape back together again.
    I remember PDP 11s and Apricots.
    Never did the punch card bits though.
    Cut my serious programming teeth on Coral66 - now that has to be dead and gone surely?

I have a fond nostalgic aural memory of the sound of Decwriter III printers zipping their way through reams and reams of computer paper.

Anyone else remember Wordstar - one of the first true Word Processors which involved all sorts of control characters to do the fancy bits such as Bold?
    Coral - we used that on military systems in GEC. Plus ADA. Don't know what happened to either of them, but I suspect zeity might.

I remember Wordstar. I used it in the late eighties/early nineties, and AmiPro and WordPerfect, before MS Word for Windows took over the world.

Anyone ever used Uniplex?

Leave a comment:

• miss marple
    replied
    I too have stuck ticker tape back together again.
    I remember PDP 11s and Apricots.
    Never did the punch card bits though.
    Cut my serious programming teeth on Coral66 - now that has to be dead and gone surely?

I have a fond nostalgic aural memory of the sound of Decwriter III printers zipping their way through reams and reams of computer paper.

Anyone else remember Wordstar - one of the first true Word Processors which involved all sorts of control characters to do the fancy bits such as Bold?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    I remember Primes. And various PDP 11s.

Anyone ever use a GEC 4000 machine?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Anyone remember Prime minis, and their operating system Primos? I worked at Prime R&D for several years, measuring disk driver performance among other things. I chucked out a huge stack of PE-Ts and PE-TIs last year - Ex Primates will probably know what those were.

I went for an interview about five years ago, and the guy said they had their last Prime in the basement, decommissioned and waiting to be taken away for scrap - It was the final model Prime ever released, for God knows how much, and less powerful than one of today's high-end PCs costing under a grand.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    So did Windows in those days.

Yes I remember it, I may still have the disks. It was prettier than Windows, and some software (e.g. Ventura DTP) ran only on it and not on Windows; but ultimately Gem was a dead end because it was only trying to be an interface, whereas Windows was trying to be an OS. It took it 15 years but it did get there.
    Eventually Ventura did run under Windows...

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    Does anyone rember the 'Gem' desktop, it sat on top of Dos....
    So did Windows in those days.

Yes I remember it, I may still have the disks. It was prettier than Windows, and some software (e.g. Ventura DTP) ran only on it and not on Windows; but ultimately Gem was a dead end because it was only trying to be an interface, whereas Windows was trying to be an OS. It took it 15 years but it did get there.
    Last edited by Euro-commuter; 25 May 2007, 11:52.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    or...how about to Apollo guidence computer......

http://rocinante.colorado.edu/~wilms...rs/apollo.html

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    how about 'sketch'

http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/retroc...g/ibm/stretch/

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    I haven't seen an Apple computer for 10 years, but they seem to be doing OK somewhere, aren't they?

Or any other fruits?
    how about Tulip....I know its not a fruit but hey....still weired.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    My eyes haven't recovered from the CGA monitor on the 1512...
    never touched an Amstrad, they were difficult to upgrade, having said that my friend did get a harddrive card, the sort that would fit into an 8bit slot, as soon as I could I binned my Ferranti and aquired an IBM AT, which you could upgrade, and even replace the motherboard.....

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied

Or any other fruits?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak
    Being able to stick ticker tape back together.

Anyone seen one of those plastic braile thingies you used to align the ends? I never used to use them meself...
    I've done that. Never used punched cards though.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    I saw a contract on jobserve a couple of days ago for someone with embedded skills & knowledge of dos...
    lol, I had a Ferranti pc at the time running on an 8086 cpu (Dos 3.1), my friend just bought a with 5.25" Amstrad with Gem installed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X