• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Wapping

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Wapping"

Collapse

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by pickle
    Then surley you can afford better than Wapping ffs?
    Where else within walking distance of most of the City is better than Wapping?

A visitor to my flat commented that it was like living in the country, as you look out the windows you are almost unaware there are any buildings in the vicinity, as they are screened by the trees in the landscaped gardens...

Of course this only describes the experience of certain flats in my development - not true of Wapping as a whole.

There's a three bedroom flat in my development on the market for £500,000 at the moment. As I reckon my similar one is only worth £400,000 I think they are taking the p*ss, even so the prices say something about the desirability of the area. (And I live in a middle-of-the-range modern development, the expensive properties are the warehouse conversions with views of the river and Tower Bridge.)

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    It's actually a very interesting part of London:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wapping

Reminds me of Dickensian London/Conan Doyle.

Leave a comment:

• pickle
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse
    I only ever work in the Square Mile or Canary Wharf
    Then surley you can afford better than Wapping ffs?

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    Houses are a bit short on the supply side in Wapping, but plenty of flats.

If you want a house with easy access to both City and Isle Of Dogs have you considered Bow?

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect
    Have you got a BMV opportunity or something? Strikes me as odd that you'd opt to buy somewhere that you have no idea about...
    I'm moving back to the City with my wife as the kids are all growed up and are just about to leave home. We want to buy a house (or a large apartment, but more probably a house as we have cats) in either Wapping, Limehouse or on the Isle Of Dogs and we are just looking at which area would be best for us.

I only ever work in the Square Mile or Canary Wharf, that's why I'm considering those areas.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Prior to opening the thread, I wasn't sure if the title was referring to a verb or noun

Leave a comment:

• larry
    replied
    Wapping

I lived there for four years. I lived in the posh part but it was formerly council so not pretty to look at. Secure entrance, caretaker and all that....

In those four years there were about four burglaries - nothing else.

There are two parts - the 'white' part and the 'non-white-mainly Bangladeshi part'. For the most part people tolerate each other. The white part was the richer part.

Some Bangladeshi boys hanging around but just spending time out of the house as apposed to planning to do anything bad. Recently, though, drug dealing is present but not enough to cause the police to have an 'Operation Trident' sort of deal in the area!

High St Wapping, Garnet St...those areas OK.

It was a bit souless. But the west end was only a cab ride away and it's always good to come home to an area where nothing's been going on. Clean streets, high-end cars, estate agents, coffee shops.....

I can't stand London anymore but if I did, I'd definitely buy in Wapping!

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    It's in East London.

I rest my case.

Leave a comment:

• Vito
    replied
    Why would you even think about moving to a place that sounds like something you do on a Mobile Phone...

Don't do it...

Also, the women are pig ugly

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Not bad, v close to city so good for resale value, a little soulless for going out, but London Bridge and shoreditch are close enough.

Have you got a BMV opportunity or something? Strikes me as odd that you'd opt to buy somewhere that you have no idea about...

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    started a topic Wapping

Wapping

Anyone live there? What's it like? I'm thinking of buying a house in the area.

Sensible answers appreciated!

Working...
X