• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Road pricing bill before Commons"

Collapse

• wendigo100
    replied
    Good Soviet policies.

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    Simple solution. Ban ALL private cars, except for essential services (medical staff, police, civil servants, MP's, Labour voters).

Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by fzbucks
    I don't think having a lottery for driving permits would be fair - does that mean every other year we could be forced to only accept contracts based on if it is commutable by public transport?
    Hopefully they'd be transferable, so you could buy one. You'd just have to put aside a pot of money. Call it a Road Fund or something.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    3. Enforce a quota (lottery) for driver permits. Permit lasts for 1 yr and is not transerable. Every year reduce the number of permits by 5%. This is fair way to force people off the road rather than having the poor taxed off the road.
    Eh??? So when they release the balls and its not you that wins the road permit lottery what happens? Game over? Sorry Mr Gingerjedi you will have to take one of the crappy permie jobs in your dormitory town or go on the rock 'n' roll.

Leave a comment:

• fzbucks
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    How to reduce the number of cars on the road in 3 easy steps that most people will agree with.

1. Enforce a retest off EVERY driver on a regular basis (suggest every 5 years), including written test and full medical. This must apply to foreign drivers also. This will reduce congestion, reduce accidents and raise standards on the roads. Crap drivers will be removed. Everyones a winner.

2. Raise the age of driving to 18 (then later 21) and stop the over 80's from driving.

3. Enforce a quota (lottery) for driver permits. Permit lasts for 1 yr and is not transerable. Every year reduce the number of permits by 5%. This is fair way to force people off the road rather than having the poor taxed off the road.
    I don't think having a lottery for driving permits would be fair - does that mean every other year we could be forced to only accept contracts based on if it is commutable by public transport?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    How to reduce the number of cars on the road in 3 easy steps that most people will agree with.

1. Enforce a retest off EVERY driver on a regular basis (suggest every 5 years), including written test and full medical. This must apply to foreign drivers also. This will reduce congestion, reduce accidents and raise standards on the roads. Crap drivers will be removed. Everyones a winner.

2. Raise the age of driving to 18 (then later 21) and stop the over 80's from driving.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    "The money to fix that has to come from somewhere, and fuel and VED don't come close to covering it, and never has, and nor do all the other taxes that contribute at the moment."

Utter rubbish. It is widely known that only a small percentage of the £60,000,000,000 raised by the current mototing taxes actually gets spent on the roads. Around 8 Billion isn't it? 13%

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    But that's point, it doesn't or not enough to deter the masses. When it's really expensive only us well-to-do types will be able to use the roads.
    I see your angle. Aren't you a Londoner though? Out of the game, so to speak?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    I think the fuel duty has that one covered already.
    But that's point, it doesn't or not enough to deter the masses. When it's really expensive only us well-to-do types will be able to use the roads.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    No-one has produced a single argument against the fairest way to price - per journey, taking into account distance. The more you drive the more you pay, just like anything else in life. Impeccably conservative, I'd have thought.
    I think the fuel duty has that one covered already.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    No-one has produced a single argument against the fairest way to price - per journey, taking into account distance. The more you drive the more you pay, just like anything else in life. Impeccably conservative, I'd have thought.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65
    I'm starting to catch on to this game now. Whatever I post, five of you post the opposite. That right?
    Yeah, you're only worth five. You'll have to come up with much better craziness to earn more.

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    I guess that's as good a time as any for me to pull out of this debate.

Probably best if I just drive off into the sunset now (possibly over a cliff if that'll make you feel better).
    Yes dang, your village must be missing you.

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    as road users do not pay enough to even approach the cost of maintaining the roads,
    I think that fuel duty alone is more than they spend on roads.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Next

Leave a comment:

Working...
X