• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Getting into coding contracts"

Collapse

• timh
    replied
    What do you do now?

There's probably a way you can introduce some software dev into it - start with automating tasks that'll make your job easier, etc.

There you go - commercial experience!

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Oooooo that's harsh.... £9.75 at the very least.
    Good advice though... get some experience.
    Seriously - I've seen junior developer roles advertised round these parts for £9.50 ph - I sh*t you not.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Throb_Nugget
    I'm thinking about looking for VB contracts. I've got quite a bit of personal experience writing VB applications just for personal interest but no commercial experience behind me.

Any advice on what I should do and what to expect in a coding contract. Should I brush up on learning some other coding technologies?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.
    There's no future in vanilla VB. Either learn .Net or financial Excel VBA. Then get a permie job and get some experience.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    And we all know how skilled them EDS types are.

Post of the day!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by kramer
    think of it this way... if a guy comes to you and says he will build you a house but has only ever done DIY at home.. what would you say?
    I dunno 'bout that. There's an EDS advert where they compare building a jet airliner to software development. And we all know how skilled them EDS types are.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Get a permanent junior developer role for 15k where you can gain experience and/or training on the job. Your experience doesn't match the requirements of contracts - except perhaps those paying £9.50 per hour.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by kramer
    think of it this way... if a guy comes to you and says he will build you a house but has only ever done DIY at home.. what would you say?
    Good answer !

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Throb nugget

Excellent

Leave a comment:

• XTC
    replied
    You will defo need other technologies vb.net, sql, asp, java etc. Vb scripting and vb6 won't be enough to get you work, unless it's something like admin with scripting on the side.

Your best bet is to get for a role where they say VB scripting a plus, Support roles or admin roles generally like someone with VB knowledge. But to get a f/t vb role, you have very little chance.
    Last edited by XTC; 18 May 2007, 11:11.

Leave a comment:

• kramer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Throb_Nugget
    started a topic Getting into coding contracts

Getting into coding contracts

I'm thinking about looking for VB contracts. I've got quite a bit of personal experience writing VB applications just for personal interest but no commercial experience behind me.

Any advice on what I should do and what to expect in a coding contract. Should I brush up on learning some other coding technologies?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Working...
X