• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Toddler fined £89 for dropping two crisps"

Collapse

• sappatz
    replied
    uk police state

Uk police state gone mad...

George Orwell would laugh (or worse cry) at Bliars Britain

thats good material indeed for a new Monty python movie !

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Is it normal to feed crisps to a one-and-a-half-year-old?

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Look lads, there are legions of hard-working local council workers itching to retire at 50 on full final salary pensions, and those schemes aren't going to fund themselves.

It's only fair.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Numptycorner
    It's time we grew some balls in the country and marched down on mass to the council offices. They need to be told that they are there to serve us NOT visa versa.
    But that sounds like a demonstration and for that I believe you now need a license, which, of course, you probably have to get from the council offices...

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    It's time we grew some balls in the country and marched down on mass to the council offices. They need to be told that they are there to serve us NOT visa versa.

Leave a comment:

• mrdavies
    replied
    Thing is though to get fined surely you would have to give your name and address for the piece of paper or whatever? Would you be stupid enough to give your details for dropping two crisps? I know i wouldn't, I would laugh my a$$ off and walk away, even if it was the plod. Imagine giving your details, THEN realising it was for 80 quid or whatever the going rate is! DOH!

edit: just read the story, so they just gave her a "fine" ticket? wtf? Drop that on the floor. How are they gonna enforce that?
    Last edited by mrdavies; 17 May 2007, 11:46.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    It does say that they cancelled the fine though, although that doesn't stop it being a complete waste of time in the first place. And surely the bit of paper they wrote it out on was a far bigger piece of litter than the crisps in the first place. There was a story like this a few months (years?) ago where a woman chucked a single Wotsit out of her car window and was stopped and fined.

Edit: Here

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Jesus - it's a f**king crisp for f*cks sake!! the world has gone f**king mad if this is classed as littering - load of old bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Interesting story in the papers yesterday. A young man collected several hundred pounds for comic relief, then kept the money. Old Bill identified 540 of the donors, went around collecting statements from all 540, then logged it as 540 individual cases of fraud. Wasted countless hours of their own time, but boosted their crime clear-up rate no end!

I read that. It's a sad indictment of how the public sector have to waste their resources rather than concentrate on what they should be doing...

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero
    They should learn from other countries and realise the money is better spent on street cleaners - at least thats an honest job, unlike a little-hitler brigade.
    Ah, now that is a good point. It is typical New Labour to spend more money on stats and targets and control, than on just fixing it in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    I was taught to throw rubbish in the bins, apple cores etc. I was told were bio-degradeble and hence didn't need to be thrown in the bin, they compost FFS. I have never thrown plastic or fast food wrappings or any such on the floor. I have never seen any town under a wash of apple cores or quavers etc, I have seen street full of coke cans and mcdonalds packaging. How can anyone believe it's the same thing?

Re the severity of th punnishment:

First time shop lifters or burglars tend to get a caution, why are these first time minor civil offenses treated less leniently?
    Last edited by Numptycorner; 17 May 2007, 10:52.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Interesting story in the papers yesterday. A young man collected several hundred pounds for comic relief, then kept the money. Old Bill identified 540 of the donors, went around collecting statements from all 540, then logged it as 540 individual cases of fraud. Wasted countless hours of their own time, but boosted their crime clear-up rate no end!

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    Two quavers certainly isn't as offensive as the dog $^*!; yet there are still owners who have no intention of cleaning their pets' doings up. Is dog S^*! classed as litter? or is that outside the remit of the council workers? I guess 2 year olds (and their harrassed parents) are sitting targets compared to a huge rottweiler and his dog.

They should learn from other countries and realise the money is better spent on street cleaners - at least thats an honest job, unlike a little-hitler brigade.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    Why is it "ludicrous"? It is litter, litter is illegal.

Get a grip man. Any penalty should be proportionate to the offence. This is fecking ridiculous and most people on this board know it.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    I think the point is how ludicrous the whole thing is. Still, the inspectors are working towards meeting their targets eh?

Why is it "ludicrous"? It is litter, litter is illegal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X