• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New Kitchen

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Kitchen"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by the guy with the bowtie
    I've finally submitted to the repeated requests for a new Kitchen (in reality the old one is falling to pieces at an accelerating rate).

Some questions on which I would value some feedback

[..]
    Try the usenet discussion group uk.d-i-y

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    Originally posted by the guy with the bowtie
    bonding and nesting

Leave a comment:

• Vito
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    See if you can defeat the interlock and fire across the workshop

I'll see what I can do...wish me luck...

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Vito
    ...does anyone else have a Nail gun...now this is man stuff!! Never used if for anything constructive (pardon the pun) but its my favourite toy!!
    See if you can defeat the interlock and fire across the workshop

Leave a comment:

• the guy with the bowtie
    replied
    Guys / gals

Thanks as always for the feedback and the interesting diversions. I have also heard the Ikea recommendation separately so this looks like the first port of call (although dreading the drive up the A23 in Croydon)

Since I have relented and accepted a new Kitchen, life at home is great and a weekend of bonding and nesting awaits ..

Leave a comment:

• Vito
    replied
    For those of you that wish to talk about Kitchens...I believe that there is a website for girls called i-village

ffs

Leave a comment:

• scon_ead
    replied
    Bought an IKEA kitchen a few years ago and was spot on, looked the biz and cheap as chips!

Would recommend that it's all about the fitting/finish. Unless you are as Handy as Andy pay someone to do it. Preferably someone who comes with a recommendation from a friend/family member etc...

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    somebody mentioned to me that the Ikea units fit flush against the wall and that there is insufficient room for pipes, cables etc?

I think this can be remedied by screwing a baton to the wall and fixing the units to that.

Could just be BS though.....

Leave a comment:

• Vito
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba
    Coincidentally, I too am looking at kitchens at the moment. I was put off when the B&Q designer quoted us £10k - I had expected nearer £5k. Plus Homebase totally freaked me out by point out that B&Q's (and MFI's) wall cabinets aren't deep enough for normal plates.

If I do anything at all, it will be Ikea with a nice worktop. This is the second place I've heard that suggestion so it must be worth investigating.

It's the right way to go...but I am not getting into a kitchen debate...

I see that TV's hasn't done the job...does anyone else have a Nail gun...now this is man stuff!! Never used if for anything constructive (pardon the pun) but its my favourite toy!!

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123
    No no no, the 600 quid I'm referring to here is the cost of getting Sky, not the cost of the TV (which is a different 600 quid).

tim
    Top tip, getting Sky at home removes a vital excuse for going to the pub.

Leave a comment:

• Vito
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123
    Why on earth would I want to pay 600 quid for even more TV?

tim

Because I can!

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Coz it's bigger... it's much more fun not watching tv on a big tv than not watching tv on a little tv.
    No no no, the 600 quid I'm referring to here is the cost of getting Sky, not the cost of the TV (which is a different 600 quid).

tim

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by Vito
    Thanks Zorba...this isn't off-topic at all...we need to stop these metrosexuals talking about kitchens!
    Coincidentally, I too am looking at kitchens at the moment. I was put off when the B&Q designer quoted us £10k - I had expected nearer £5k. Plus Homebase totally freaked me out by point out that B&Q's (and MFI's) wall cabinets aren't deep enough for normal plates.

If I do anything at all, it will be Ikea with a nice worktop. This is the second place I've heard that suggestion so it must be worth investigating.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    that is a typical valeeeeeeeeeeeeees expression,

nice coat that jaaaaaaaaaaaaacket

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    no no tim,

I am with Churkus on this,

if your standard is MFI, and if that is all I can afford then what is wrong with it ?

Then to build a kitchen myself to the same standard as MFI which is what I am used to and for less money then I've achieved something.

The more of us who lived within our means the better state the country would be in.

Hmmm second thoughts, no, forget that, everybody keep re-morgaging your houses and releasing that equity and fueling the economy

good on you,

your country needs you and your debt

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X