• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Don't mention the war"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Panthers turned out to be the best tanks of WW2, and by the way those Ferdinands that were very heavy and without MGs managed to knock out something to the tune of 900 Soviet tanks - the only reason it was not excellent result is because Soviet production capacity was much higher than that of German.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Elite, nothing comes close after all these years.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    You should try it Luficer - I know it is not that advanced, but graphically it is stunning totally, and missions really keep you on your toes - I have not experienced such gameplay ever since I played original Dune 2

Real-time element is excellent there.
    Yes, I did like Dune 2. Very ahead of its time.

However, if you want the RTS game played by real strategists that gives you that in-depth experience, this is your boy... Close Combat: Cross of Iron. The graphics are nothing to shout about but it's got it where it counts: gameplay.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    We also have to thank Hitler for pushing the Panthers into service for Operation Citadel before they were ready. As a result more than half had suffered mechanical failures before the end of the first day of operations.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Anyone for Kursk ? ( the biggest tank battle of all time - won by the Soviets)
    It appears that Soviets historians lied big time about supposed biggest tank battle around Prohokovka - the lie is fairly self-evident given very small tank numbers that Germans had at the time, typically this kind of crap done by lieing Soviet historians to cover up massive losses by making up huge battle.

By the way despite best defensive efforts Germans managed to penetrate defences and it was pretty successful operation (Manstein managed to concentrate massive tank force on main direction that was suprise to the Soviets) until Hitler pulled it back because of invasion of Allied forces in Italy.

Not that winning at Kurst would have changed things fundamentally for the nazies, just it is good to know the truth rather than lies.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist
    You are clearly defending like a Russian. Try adopting a western mindset, we never had much trouble trouncing the square-heads.

Anyone for Kursk ? ( the biggest tank battle of all time - won by the Soviets)

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You mean I should have retreated or just surrendered, rather than fight to the last man?

The defending forces are American btw, with rather sh1tty inferiour equipment.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    I got rolled over with panzers twice yesterday on "Mortain" mission of Company of Heroes where you have to defend hill and lots more territory against German tank and infantry assaults - bloody hard thing as they don't give you time to make up proper defences, darned krauts roll you over with tanks from multiple directions, once they break through inside the hill you are as good as dead... and best part is this: you have to defend for 30 mins, which is doable, I did it twice, mission ends and you think its over... but next mission is continuation of this one with same forces you had left (almost none) and krauts come with lots more tanks to finish you off!!!
    You are clearly defending like a Russian. Try adopting a western mindset, we never had much trouble trouncing the square-heads.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Arcade crap - try Red Orchestra Ost Front instead.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Battlefield 2 - Now that is a game worth playing!

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Look, take my word for - this is excellent stuff, graphics and physics used in the game are stunning - say buildings can be taken by infantry and you can shoot them down and they actually fall like real building would

Gameplay is excellent, I'd never think it would work for WW2 game, but they really made it super - especially when you have to defend from multiple directions like on that and other maps, this way it is really tough
    If you are man enough try beating me at monkey snowfight!!!

http://www.miniclip.com/games/monkey-snowfight/en/

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Look, take my word for - this is excellent stuff, graphics and physics used in the game are stunning - say buildings can be taken by infantry and you can shoot them down and they actually fall like real building would

Gameplay is excellent, I'd never think it would work for WW2 game, but they really made it super - especially when you have to defend from multiple directions like on that and other maps, this way it is really tough

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Real time's okay for a minor diversion (when Mrs Lucifer's not looking) but I prefer a more in-depth challenge. Nice graphics are an added bonus but gameplay is king.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You should try it Luficer - I know it is not that advanced, but graphically it is stunning totally, and missions really keep you on your toes - I have not experienced such gameplay ever since I played original Dune 2

Real-time element is excellent there.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    I got rolled over with panzers twice yesterday on "Mortain" mission of Company of Heroes where you have to defend hill and lots more territory against German tank and infantry assaults - bloody hard thing as they don't give you time to make up proper defences, darned krauts roll you over with tanks from multiple directions, once they break through inside the hill you are as good as dead... and best part is this: you have to defend for 30 mins, which is doable, I did it twice, mission ends and you think its over... but next mission is continuation of this one with same forces you had left (almost none) and krauts come with lots more tanks to finish you off!!!
    FFS Get a life. Start with a bird.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X