• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Finishing off cat5 cables"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba
    Bear in mind that I'm crap at this and someone who Knows about stuff will probably jump in
    snaw is too busy reading "Networking for Dummies, 2nd Edition", allegedly.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Surely, 9Mpbs wireless > 8Mbps from ISP, so you won't notice any lag?
    Wireless is worse from my experience. I've used it for 2 years and gone to cabling the flat and it's noticeably better.

I'm on cable, got a 100/full network and it's all good now. I'll turn the wireless back on when I've got a laptop!

Wireless drops out occasionally as well - can be really annoying if it's at the wrong time!

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule
    Can you explain what you mean by lag, and where it is introduced into the wireless system?

Not having a dig, just don't understand.
    Bear in mind that I'm crap at this and someone who Knows about stuff will probably jump in, but the way I understand it is the 9mbps is the 'bandwidth' i.e. the maximum amount of data that can be shifted at once. The 'lag' is more technically called the 'latency', that is the time for the requests for data to move from your PC to wherever the data is coming from. The way it was explained to me is that your bandwidth is like a lorry ferrying data, but to shout to the lorry your voice is limited by the speed of sound. Using wifi increases the time taken to request the data.

Whether that lag is noticeable is questionable though. If someone who knows more about it wants to chime in, I'll happily edit this back to 'no idea'.

Leave a comment:

• kramer
    replied
    Can you explain what you mean by lag, and where it is introduced into the wireless system?

yeah .. what he said!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Cool - will try this for the garden.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Wireless has, for want of a better word, lag. Plus, the 54mbps advertised is never anywhere near that. You'll be bloody lucky to get 20mbps out of it with the best 54mbps router going, the matching card that goes with it and a perfect room (no walls, radiators, reflections etc).

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    very useful thread folks

thanks,

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    I bought a Netgear 108mbps router as I liked the idea of being able to use a laptop in the garden (about 40m away), the reality is I'm lucky if I get a signal at all beyond 10m, any ideas how I can boost the signal? I don’t know whether to get a repeater, a high gain antenna or on the news the other night there was a place in South Africa where they were using tin cans to direct the signal 'cantennas' they called them... anyone tried this method?
    This works if you have time:
    http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

This also works if you don't:
    http://www.freeantennas.com/projects...te2/index.html

Good luck! I used a cardboard/tinfoil one for a while before I got cabled. You could also go for some homeplugs (they have several names but try http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/ ) and use a long extension from the house to the garden.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Sorry, I thought we were talking about wall sockets. I have never bothered making leads, I seem to collect them.
    Thats a point! just get a standard RJ45 socket and punch the cables in according to the colour code inside, you can use a BT plastic pusher thats costs about 50p available from all good DIY stores... and some bad ones as well.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Wireless has, for want of a better word, lag. Plus, the 54mbps advertised is never anywhere near that. You'll be bloody lucky to get 20mbps out of it with the best 54mbps router going, the matching card that goes with it and a perfect room (no walls, radiators, reflections etc).
    I bought a Netgear 108mbps router as I liked the idea of being able to use a laptop in the garden (about 40m away), the reality is I'm lucky if I get a signal at all beyond 10m, any ideas how I can boost the signal? I don’t know whether to get a repeater, a high gain antenna or on the news the other night there was a place in South Africa where they were using tin cans to direct the signal 'cantennas' they called them... anyone tried this method?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On
    In cabled my flat recently, bought the ends and a crimper from maplins and followed the instructions on this page:

http://www.incentre.net/incentre/frame/ethernet.html

Dead easy
    Sorry, I thought we were talking about wall sockets. I have never bothered making leads, I seem to collect them.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    In cabled my flat recently, bought the ends and a crimper from maplins and followed the instructions on this page:

http://www.incentre.net/incentre/frame/ethernet.html

Dead easy

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Only if you have a slow-ass router or a kick-ass connection.

My (cable) connection is currently 8Mbps, my 802.11g router is capable of 54Mbps.

Why is the wireless router slowing the internet?

Admittedly it does slow computer to computer connections through the house, but I'm rarely bothered by that.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Nothing to really add that hasn't already been said.

(You can now get this kind of stuff from your local DIY store - have seen it in B&Q - Screwfix also sell them).

These links might prove useful though:

http://tinyurl.com/2q7hzm

http://tinyurl.com/k53y9

http://tinyurl.com/36ykak

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    It is fairly straight forward to terminate them but I would suggest getting a bag of 50 RJ45 connectors and a piece of cat5 and do few practice runs first as its easy to pull one of the wires short of the terminal when you crimp it, you can get a tester for about £35 but a bit of patience, a friend on one end and a multimeter on the other can do the same job.

I was on a team of 10 who wired and terminated the entire 'doughnut' in Cheltenham and I can recite the colour code system in my sleep... still have sore fingers now!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X