• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CSA - Ex wants more than a pound of flesh"

Collapse

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99
    Considering she was the one who wanted divorce, i am trying to be amicable as far as things are concerned cos i have my kid to think about. She fully knows that her power over me is my kid.

A lot of people have adviced me to just move to the states and start afresh but none of these people are in my situation hence easy to give such advise.

One reality is that If I cant nip her power over me in the bod, it will make me miserable till my kid is 18.

She always gets like this whenever she's seen evidence of another woman in my house.

I currently give here £400 considering that my kid is with me for two days a week.

I have just received the divorce papers, If a court order is something more to be afraid off than CSA, maybe I should shop myself to CSA beforeand for damage limitation.

Promlem is that I need a definate on how my income will be accessed.
    I pay myself about £14000 gross a year and then withdraw most as dividends.

does car lease affect Netprofits ?, maybe i should get my self an astin martin on lease, i am sure that will drop my net profits to Zero !

css_jay99
    Issue with the car lease is your benefit in kind tax. Although you will be happy to take the tax hit no doubt, your salary figure will be artificially increased to take that tax increase into account (i.e. if your BIK tax is 5K and you're at 40% then your 'salary' will increase by the amount necessary to generate 5K of income tax). Swings and roundabouts.

Bear in mind with a court order you could have a lump sum order, child maintenance order and spousal maintenance order. You can vary the child maintenance by going to the CSA but only after 12 months from the order has elapsed. You can vary the spousal maintenance by going back to court and going through that again.

There's value of course in going for the least stressful route but thats a choice only you can make...

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Considering she was the one who wanted divorce, i am trying to be amicable as far as things are concerned cos i have my kid to think about. She fully knows that her power over me is my kid.

A lot of people have adviced me to just move to the states and start afresh but none of these people are in my situation hence easy to give such advise.

One reality is that If I cant nip her power over me in the bod, it will make me miserable till my kid is 18.

She always gets like this whenever she's seen evidence of another woman in my house.

I currently give here £400 considering that my kid is with me for two days a week.

I have just received the divorce papers, If a court order is something more to be afraid off than CSA, maybe I should shop myself to CSA beforeand for damage limitation.

Promlem is that I need a definate on how my income will be accessed.
    I pay myself about £14000 gross a year and then withdraw most as dividends.

does car lease affect Netprofits ?, maybe i should get my self an astin martin on lease, i am sure that will drop my net profits to Zero !

css_jay99

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by Vito
    ...who knows, I may even do what you boys do and learn to press a few buttons on a keyboard and become an IT contractor...I used to write programmes with my old ZX48 so how hard can it be????
    It's easy as pie. Pushing the right buttons is a bit harder.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    Bulltulip. They don't bother you because they don't know where you are!

Btw, did you get round to flogging them your noddy VB app?
    Now, do come on, let's be logical here: statement 2 implicitly contradicts statement 1.

Statement 2: No, and I still think £500 million is a bargain, even if it is a noddy app. There can be a lot of power in simplicity y'know: look at a jet engine when compared to a car engine.

Oh, half forgot: Anyone from the CSA reading this: I've a Child Support Support System, much much better than anything you're using right now. Ready to go with a couple of weeks notice: £500 million for 5 years, which you must admit is a real bargain compared to what you're using currently.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    I used to contract for the CSA. The CSA no longer bothers me.
    Bulltulip. They don't bother you because they don't know where you are!

Btw, did you get round to flogging them your noddy VB app?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I used to contract for the CSA. The CSA no longer bothers me.

Leave a comment:

• Vito
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    I did'nt realise that there was so much experience on divorce on this board

I try to add whatever I can to my CV...I treated marraige as a training course where I could learn useful skills for future life...the divorce I treated like the exam at the end...got a certificate and everything.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    Actually you bastard, you're part of the reason I got divorced!

Do you remember that French girl I was shagging at ICL about 15 years ago? Well it was a toss up between marrying her and the woman who I did marry. Really I should've dumped 'em both!

You got me the contract, ergo, your fault...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Brother's ex has been using CSA to beat him up for years, constantly seeking re-assessment even though she doesn't need the money, just to increase the hassle, forms, official letters etc.
    You may well be able to work something related to dividends so that salary is assessed. Think they take mortgage payments and some other outgoings into account - might be worth reducing your mortgage term by a few years to up the payment (and extend it back later).
    Amicable is of course the best way but once it goes to rat-sh1t, only people who have never been through this will continue to think people act rationally and reasonably. They act to inflict as much pain, grief, guilt and anguish as possible and use any and all possible means to do so. Usually this is the woman but men have their 'moments' too.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAccountant
    replied
    CSA do not count dividends as income. If you are taking a 'sensible' level of salary (~5K), your assessment should be minimal - about £20 per month.

Suggest you give money direcly to children - clothes, holidays, books etc.

If your ex gets a court order for maintenance, you are completely stuffed - no way out of paying even if you go bankrupt. Whether she may be able to do this is a question for a lawyer. Even if she got this, you could apply to vary the maintenance order if your cicumstances change.

HTH

Dodgy

Leave a comment:

• Vito
    replied
    As with anything, there are loopholes...I don't know facts I'm afraid but then again neither do any of the CSA muppets I've spoken to in the past, different story every time. You can ring their helpline without giving your details by the way.

Firstly, I don't think it takes into account Dividend payments, I may be wrong on this but that is certainly what one of the numpties told me...

Secondly, and this I am pretty sure about, during your first year of being self-employed they only ask that you pay the minimum (which I think is something like £5 per week or something equally silly) because they accept that they cannot fairly predict your income. So...what is to stop you closing down your limited every year and starting a new one stating a slightly different line of work when setting it up...I'm sure there is a fine line on this one and it is deffo a little naughty, but I bet its do-able.

I pay my ex £500 per month in line with my old permie salary from three years ago...I told her about the above and when I went self employed a couple of years ago she accepted that £500 per month was more that fair (given that I had walked away from a fully paid up 4 bed detached house with nothing, even left both cars) and we both agreed not to tell the CSA about my change in circumstances (despite popular belief, you are not obliged to)...she knows that if she ever goes back on this I will just close down my company and do something else working for myself...who knows, I may even do what you boys do and learn to press a few buttons on a keyboard and become an IT contractor...I used to write programmes with my old ZX48 so how hard can it be????

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    The CSA look at salary according to my brief so you could end up paying much less than you do now. However, either side can apply for a variation and this could be based on the divvys you take and/or the value of the company.

Bearing in mind the changes the CSA are going through, I wouldn't expect any new application to be turned around any time soon.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Reading this thread there is much to be said for 'outsourcing' ones love life ...
    That still doesn't completely guarantee you won't get burnt by the CSA (and possibly get some other burning sensations as well).

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Reading this thread there is much to be said for 'outsourcing' ones love life ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X