• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Oh Dear: 5.5%

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh Dear: 5.5%"

Collapse

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Buffoon
    UK rates are the highest in the G7 and have every chance of going higher.

Who says we don't lead the world.
    I think we've also overtook the Yanks in being the most in debt per head. Boomed but ultimately doomed !

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    UK rates are the highest in the G7 and have every chance of going higher.

Who says we don't lead the world.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    I'm with CA, and its very tempting, but you do have to consider what else you could do with the money, but then, by removing it from the business you will nearly always take a hit on the money with tex etc.
    I'm with CA and SJD are my accountants. I try to follow their advice and take only salary + divis up to the 40% threshold - any remaining money stays in the company until its natural demise whenever that may be, so I want to try and grow it as best I can. But you're right, it's very tempting to take the hit for instant gratification. Mrs Z has earmarked the next few years dosh for a new house though

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    looks like no one here is affected then

Milan.
    Us mortgage-free types would like to see 15% interest rates:

1) Much more Interest on capital until ...
    2) Collapse of house prices so we can move in and make a killing

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba
    Just to clarify, the bonds are from CA (Cater Allen) not C&A (the clothes shop.

Linky:
    Term Deposit Account

and the interest rates
    Interest rates (Choose 'Term Deposit' in the drop down at the top)

You have to drop a minimum of £50k (probably not a problem for many of the readers of this board) for a minimum of a week into them, but the rates start at 5.1% and they seem to be a hassle-free way of almost doubling your interest. Has anyone got one yet? I know there are higher rate accounts around but I like CA and the comfort of keeping it all in one bank.
    I'm with CA, and its very tempting, but you do have to consider what else you could do with the money, but then, by removing it from the business you will nearly always take a hit on the money with tex etc.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy
    There is always high interest rates when a country is at war. It's the government that needs to borrow the big money and attract savers. Any interest rate rise is blamed on the people but think about it. It's government services that cause inflation not the price of clothes at Primark or the price of your Ipod at Dixons. Wage inflation is near 0%.
    The house price bubble has seen an large year on year increase in the debt money supply. This is released into the economy via mortgage equity release and loan consolidation.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    hey tell me more about hte fixed term bonds from CA please....
    Just to clarify, the bonds are from CA (Cater Allen) not C&A (the clothes shop.

Linky:
    Term Deposit Account

and the interest rates
    Interest rates (Choose 'Term Deposit' in the drop down at the top)

You have to drop a minimum of £50k (probably not a problem for many of the readers of this board) for a minimum of a week into them, but the rates start at 5.1% and they seem to be a hassle-free way of almost doubling your interest. Has anyone got one yet? I know there are higher rate accounts around but I like CA and the comfort of keeping it all in one bank.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    looks like no one here is affected then

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba
    I like C&A! Every time I go to France I go there and stock up for the next six months or so. I too was hoping for 5.75% as I need to get some investment action going on my business account... Cater Allen have some fixed term bonds that look ok. (sorry for off-topic!).

hey tell me more about hte fixed term bonds from CA please....

Leave a comment:

• woo
    replied
    still way too low. need 7%.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    How about C&A?
    I like C&A! Every time I go to France I go there and stock up for the next six months or so. I too was hoping for 5.75% as I need to get some investment action going on my business account... Cater Allen have some fixed term bonds that look ok. (sorry for off-topic!).

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Many are expecting a crash in 2009

Most bubbles, like internet stocks and Japanese land, go through an exponential phase before breaking, usually short in time but dramatic in extent.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    How dare you mention Primark on a contractors board...

I think it was derogatory, so it's probably ok...

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy
    There is always high interest rates when a country is at war. It's the government that needs to borrow the big money and attract savers. Any interest rate rise is blamed on the people but think about it. It's government services that cause inflation not the price of clothes at Primark or the price of your Ipod at Dixons. Wage inflation is near 0%.

How dare you mention Primark on a contractors board...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X