• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: London (yet again)

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "London (yet again)"

Collapse

• Jog On
    replied
    I haven't been to Rome yet but it's high up on my to do list.

I have to agree with the cost of living thing though - even California (San Diego anyway) is cheaper to live than London - and that's supposed to be the most expensive state in America

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On
    Glad you worked that one out.

I have no quarrel with you - but please - we all choose our positions (or dispositions).

I don't mean any malice btw I'm just saying what I think.

I'm from London born and bred, I lived right near shepherds bush tube for a long time and if timing was against me I could well have been killed in 7/7

Anyone of us faces that threat every morning on the packed tube.

I love London because it's my home -

where is your home?
    I was born and bred in the most beautiful town in the world, Rome. Therefore I am very picky about cities to live. I would always said that London is a special place and in a total of 8 years living here (and 20 years since my first time) I would recommend it to people of a certain category. While certainly isn't 7/7 londoners' fault, there are some issues that a rich town like London should address. The main is making it a more attractive place for families (meaning working on safety and transports). It's a bit sad that all the families have to move out of the M25 (with the cost and nuisance of the commute) as this is not the case in many other big european cities as someone mentioned Madrid, Paris, Berlin. Could mention Amsterdam, Zurich, Vienna and so on.... However, if it makes you feel better I can talk for days about the bad things of living in Rome, too.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    You! You're the same. No matter where you go, there you are. It's always the same old you. Let me suggest that you take a vacation from yourself. I-I know it sounds wild. It is the latest thing in travel. We call it the Ego Trip.
    Roll up - roll up! Leave your ego behind on the hash trip of a life time!

Leave a comment:

• interested
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenerGrass
    Swindon a suburb of London? Or even Slough? What on earth are you talking about?

I made decision to concentrate on London contracts for the next few years, when I leave I think it will be to implement a plan B, hopefully with all or most of the mortgage paid off. I can't envisage doing an IT position in some crummy provincial town.

Everyday in London is an adventure, as we walk through the historic streets and marble floored corridors of power, drinking champagne in posh bars and laughing.
    We are the cogs in the financial powerhouse driving the wheels of country. We live our lives like in The Apprentice, we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

The square mile is clean, largely crime free (well, compared to the rest of London), has great architecture, bars, eateries and the only time I've ever seen anyone threatened in a pub or bar in the City was by a knuckle-headed Northerner, who was presumably lost on the way to somewhere rubbish.
    Commute from one of the nicer suburbs or greenbelt villages and you can get the best of both worlds, I've not visited the former slum area of Hoxton so I can't comment on that.

The bringing up kids thing is the ownly downer, people often move outside the M25 at that stage. I can see why you'd need a joint income of 150-200k to bring them up, send them to a good school where they won't grow up to talk like a crack-addled Jamaican, and live comfortably in the best parts of London.
    Well said, working in the City is a real pleasure. I had the misfortune to work in both Croydon and Reading for a few months. I hate crappy provincial towns with their moronic inhabitants all crammed into the same bar/kebab house every night. No doubt some smart arse will point out that technically Croydon is in London but Londoners will know what I mean.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    You! You're the same. No matter where you go, there you are. It's always the same old you. Let me suggest that you take a vacation from yourself. I-I know it sounds wild. It is the latest thing in travel. We call it the Ego Trip.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    A word of advice

Francko here's some good advice:

Remember wherever you go and run to and try to hide you can't leave yourself behind.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    - it is not safe anywhere, not a major problem if you are single but with a family you may want to enjoy a free walk around your neighbour: this is not safe anywhere in London
    Complete bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• Hart-floot
    replied
    I keep talking but I can't hear anybody listening out there. First I wouldn't define Hampton Court as a suburb. I was thinking more of Swindon or Slough as proper suburbs.

Methinks you need some geography lessons on England!

So Francko, where do suggest is better? There are only perhaps 3 or 4 other cities in europe that are comparable to London; thats Paris, Berlin & Madrid.

Central Paris is beautiful but it's suburbs are sh!t just as Mr Sarkozy! Madrid is going the same way too. Not sure about Berlin

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Orangutan
    ...Actually come to think of it London is no different to most large towns/cities, there is just more of it.
    Nah, only seen in Copenhagen: Women cyclists who are one over the eight in the morning. In London I'm pretty sure Darwin would remove them quicker than you can hail a cab.

Leave a comment:

• Orangutan
    replied
    I was brought up on a beach, but now work in london.
    I escape to the 'burbs every night for a little peace & quiet.

I find London great in small doses.
    I couldn't live too close, but I can't stay away for too long either.

If you like hussle, bussle and focused (they are not rude, just self-absorbed) people with an incredible choice of places to eat & drink and places to see and are prepared to put up with the less attractive things (beggers, muggers etc) then go for it.

Actually come to think of it London is no different to most large towns/cities, there is just more of it.

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    First I wouldn't define Hampton Court as a suburb. I was thinking more of Swindon or Slough as proper suburbs.
    Swindon a suburb of London? Or even Slough? What on earth are you talking about?

I made decision to concentrate on London contracts for the next few years, when I leave I think it will be to implement a plan B, hopefully with all or most of the mortgage paid off. I can't envisage doing an IT position in some crummy provincial town.

Everyday in London is an adventure, as we walk through the historic streets and marble floored corridors of power, drinking champagne in posh bars and laughing.
    We are the cogs in the financial powerhouse driving the wheels of country. We live our lives like in The Apprentice, we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

The square mile is clean, largely crime free (well, compared to the rest of London), has great architecture, bars, eateries and the only time I've ever seen anyone threatened in a pub or bar in the City was by a knuckle-headed Northerner, who was presumably lost on the way to somewhere rubbish.
    Commute from one of the nicer suburbs or greenbelt villages and you can get the best of both worlds, I've not visited the former slum area of Hoxton so I can't comment on that.

The bringing up kids thing is the ownly downer, people often move outside the M25 at that stage. I can see why you'd need a joint income of 150-200k to bring them up, send them to a good school where they won't grow up to talk like a crack-addled Jamaican, and live comfortably in the best parts of London.
    Last edited by GreenerGrass; 10 May 2007, 06:52.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    First I wouldn't define Hampton Court as a suburb. I was thinking more of Swindon or Slough as proper suburbs.
    Of London?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    There is no perfect place in this world, there are places with advantages and disadvantages,
    Glad you worked that one out.

I have no quarrel with you - but please - we all choose our positions (or dispositions).

I don't mean any malice btw I'm just saying what I think.

I'm from London born and bred, I lived right near shepherds bush tube for a long time and if timing was against me I could well have been killed in 7/7

Anyone of us faces that threat every morning on the packed tube.

I love London because it's my home -

where is your home?
    Last edited by Jog On; 10 May 2007, 00:34.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On
    Franco - boo fecking hoo

Go elsewhere!

You don't like it - feck off, go and moan about it at the next place you decide you don't like because of this and that.

We don't invite people to come to our "streets paved with gold" city with promises of virgins in heaven.

I live near Hampton Court - it's near Richmond and Twickenham - London suburbs are quite nice last time I checked..

London rocks - get a better deal elsewhere - it's not perfect but hey we're doing the best we can.

No one's keeping you here - it's not rocket science to live somewhere where you're happy.

Do us all a favour - the tubes are packed enough - know what I mean?
    I keep talking but I can't hear anybody listening out there. First I wouldn't define Hampton Court as a suburb. I was thinking more of Swindon or Slough as proper suburbs. Besides are you going to discuss or just booing and childishly get back with improper remarks? I said London can be a great place, provided that you don't have children and that you are not a very top earner. Do you have children? Do you pay 15k a year for each of them to get a decent school? And that was not a moan. There is no perfect place in this world, there are places with advantages and disadvantages, if you can't cope with that, you can feck off in your ideal world, I am merely exposing facts foolishly hoping that someone was able to discuss them cleverly. And yes, anytime you want me to "moan" (I'd rather see it as an intelligent exposition of facts) about other countries, please let me know, as I have lived in quite a few already and I can moan/discuss about each of them: that's the greatest advantage about considering the reality without a stupid nationalistic pride.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Franco - boo fecking hoo

Go elsewhere!

You don't like it - feck off, go and moan about it at the next place you decide you don't like because of this and that.

We don't invite people to come to our "streets paved with gold" city with promises of virgins in heaven.

you won't be able to make the most of the entertainments as you'd be living very far way and London suburbs suck
    I live near Hampton Court - it's near Richmond and Twickenham - London suburbs are quite nice last time I checked..

London rocks - get a better deal elsewhere - it's not perfect but hey we're doing the best we can.

No one's keeping you here - it's not rocket science to live somewhere where you're happy.

Do us all a favour - the tubes are packed enough - know what I mean?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X