• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Relative perception of time"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    or they'll just use it to turn the ashes of the rich into shiny carbon

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    This reminds me of Ground Hog Day, super movie

No zeitghost it is not Friday yet. See I knew the answer before you asked the question, it should be I with the godlike title!

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I've had contracts that appeared infinite all the way through... as denoted by the apparently never decreasing downcount of hours to the end...
    I used to do that at school and college.

I recently started doing it while fielding in a cricket match, which told me I probably need to play something else.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    That's the point, you never do, you only notice it is not the middle anymore.
    No, you wouldn't. Your block of a few weeks off not caring what day it is could go on indefinitely.

Unless you did care what day it is.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    But then you wouldn't know when it had ended.
    That's the point, you never do, you only notice it is not the middle anymore.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by swissmike
    That's why it's good to take a block of a few weeks off once in a while and not care what day it is.
    But then you wouldn't know when it had ended.

Leave a comment:

• swissmike
    replied
    That's why it's good to take a block of a few weeks off once in a while and not care what day it is.

When you're working every week and have busy plans every weekend the time just races by

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    Correct, you don't notice the beginnings or endings just the middles.
    hmm, I failed to make that connection when you made it earlier. Good point.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    Jonsson makes the point that, e.g. school holidays always seemed so long (at least at the start of them) because we had not mentally divided them up; whereas even a whole year in an adult life is divided up into sections even before we start it, so it seems much shorter.
    Correct, you don't notice the beginnings or endings just the middles.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    So times we make sense of become shorter, and times with no sense of structure drag?

Sounds like the job I'm doing now.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack
    Oh very good

Actually it was - £3 or thereabouts inc postage.

Vito - I've heard the 'perception of a year as we get older' comment before and that makes perfect sense. It's more the 'pretty girl (hr=5min) vs dentist (5min=hr)' aspect that interests me.

Perhaps this is a question to put to 'The Last Word' in New Scientist.
    Jonsson makes the point that, e.g. school holidays always seemed so long (at least at the start of them) because we had not mentally divided them up; whereas even a whole year in an adult life is divided up into sections even before we start it, so it seems much shorter.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65
    Second hand?
    Oh very good

Actually it was - £3 or thereabouts inc postage.

Vito - I've heard the 'perception of a year as we get older' comment before and that makes perfect sense. It's more the 'pretty girl (hr=5min) vs dentist (5min=hr)' aspect that interests me.

Perhaps this is a question to put to 'The Last Word' in New Scientist.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack
    Excellent - ordered it from amazon. Thanks EC
    Second hand?

Leave a comment:

• Vito
    replied
    Age is a major factor...

A year to a 1 year old is a lifetime...a year to a 61 year old is a blink of the eye...

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot
    Well you could not move near this speed as your mass would become like SA and then you'd be doomed. Unless you could protect yourself from those effects...
    So the faster you go the more mass you have making it imposable to visit other planets, more proof of god's/nature's failsafe mechanism. Its almost as if we are never meant to find out the secrets of the universe.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X