• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Generic Fixed Price Contract"

Collapse

• shaeney
    replied
    OK, so we are saying that regardless of what anyone says, and the wording of the contract with respect to being able to work on multiple contracts concurrently, this in no way impacts on IR35 compliance? which is to say that Gordo and his minions will still consider you as an employee if the practices you follow are the same as those who are in full time employment?

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by shaeney
    p.s. we are well off topic
    In the grand tradition of the CUK forums.

Leave a comment:

• shaeney
    replied
    Originally posted by Burdock
    aha! thanks!

Is it true that all Welsh football / rugby fans get on swimmingly, in the finest of sporting tradition.... or is it a case still of trashed M4 service stations on derby-days
    you can still drink in your seat at rugby, not the same in football.

p.s. we are well off topic

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    aha! thanks!

Is it true that all Welsh football / rugby fans get on swimmingly, in the finest of sporting tradition.... or is it a case still of trashed M4 service stations on derby-days

Leave a comment:

• shaeney
    replied
    Originally posted by Burdock
    excuse my ignorance, but is a 'Turk' slang for a person from another part of Wales / another Welsh football team?

Or do you not like Turks!??!
    It's really simple:
    Cardiff=Bluebird(scum)
    Neath=All-Black (and the forementioned "neaf,neaf,neaf" chant)
    Swansea=Jack(after the world famous Swansea Jack dog, who saved millions of swimmers lives)
    Llanelli=Turk

Mixing rugby and football slang, but there you go.

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Scarlets supporter.

HTH.

hmm!! will check my Welsh football teams, then get back to you!!

Connah's Quay?!?

[EDIT]....oh Rugger
    Last edited by Burdock; 2 May 2007, 09:13.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny
    That's right, you wouldn't be. Concurrent fixed term work would not be classed on each individual contract separately. That is only for 9-6 bum on seaters, who claim they are working concurrent contracts when in fact they are working part time on two or more regular contracts that may be constantly renewed and have no obvious end date in mind for an hourly or daily rate, giving them a regular income stream with no risks attached. Otherwise it's for office based contractors who would still claim they are outside ir35 just because they squeeze in a bit of irrelevant side-line work at the weekends or weekends which doesn't make any difference at all to the amount of billing to their regular client for the full 8 hours or day.

If that were not the case, then no freelancer would be able to claim they are freelance, whether they worked from home or not.
    Denny, the above is gibberish, please rewrite, but in normal English, not in civil service speak, if possible.

Ta in advance.

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Indeed.

Or a Turk.
    excuse my ignorance, but is a 'Turk' slang for a person from another part of Wales / another Welsh football team?

Or do you not like Turks!??!

Leave a comment:

• shaeney
    replied
    Indeed.

Or a Turk.
    Don't even go there! The Mrs is an all-black/Turk hybrid and she is focing me to live in Llangennech. As a Jack, you can understand how much pain that causes me. I mean, what am I supposed to tell the children about their heritage?

Leave a comment:

• shaeney
    replied
    Well, until recently, yes, on a very good rate, thank you very much.

Next contract is in Bristol though.

Talking with a few other contractors who also thought that multiple concurrent contracts was a possible pointer away from IR35. Why cant Gordo and co just make things simpler?

Treating us like employees, but without the associated benefits, sucks.

P.S. better a Jack than a bluebird...

Leave a comment:

• timh
    replied
    I'm contracting here at the moment - though that's an anomaly, and it's for 100/day less than my London rate.. I think there might well be more work here in future though, the SA1 development seems to be improving things a bit.

I'm usually away for about 6 months of the year, working from home for 3, and enjoying myself for the remaining 3.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by timh
    Affordable housing!
    In local earnings terms, I put it in line with Mayfair, Richmond upon Thames and maybe some parts of Surrey if you're lucky. Do you actually contract in Swansea?

Leave a comment:

• timh
    replied
    I thought that many different contracts (concurrent or not) would be a pointer away from IR35 too.

(And I'm in Swansea as well. Affordable housing!)

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane
    My understanding is that IR35 has little to do with "multiple concurrent contracts". Each contract is judged individually on IR35 compliance.

Therefore, if your daytime contract failed IR35, you'd be required to pay the additional costs on that, and if your pub contract failed IR35, you'd be required to pay additional costs on that.
    My understanding too. There is a simple rule: if you can think up a most brain damaged conclusion to a set of rules that will be the solution the IR chooses, until forced to do otherwise, and that might not happen either.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot
    If that's true I'd be glad to have a mutual support contract with some other IT contractor - They can ask my advice and v.v. for a small fee.
    Exactly, people aren't stupid and would soon start fabricating the illusion of concurrent contracts just to escape IR35.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X