• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Clueless .....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Clueless ....."

Collapse

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
    You have a "real business" if it is theoretically possible for you to take a year off from your business and upon your return to find it as profitable as when you worked there.

If you don't fit this definition, you are self-employed.

... what contractors usually mean when they say they're a "real business" is that they are self-employed rather than employed, and should be taxed as such.
    Spot-on! I never say I'm a "real business", I see myself as self-employed. Now if only I could work out how to get HMRC to see me that way too, and then agencies to see it as well. Then I wouldn't need this stupid Ltd.

I'd be happy to work on short-term employment contracts too. Anybody know a 3-month salaried employment going for 80k/y equivalent?

I don't run the damn zoo. I am not the one that decides not to work in the manner that is most logical for what I do.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny
    Oh **** off you *****.

I am doing all those things.
    You have put the kettle on then?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Oh **** off you *****.

I am doing all those things.

I sent you for coffee yesterday!!!

You're worse than useless!

You're fired!

Churchill - In "AMS" mode!

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall
    Denny can't be real as anybody with enough time to post rubbish on here cannot be running a real business.
    She's not running a real business - by her own admission, she's been on the bench for 2.5 months.
    Real businesses would be out there marketing, selling, networking, not sitting at home reading CUK and waiting for an agency to call...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    [QUOTE=DodgyAgent]

Why dont you write them with a modicum of logic in the first place and then you wont get treated with such derision.

Yeah, I concur!

While you're at it, put the kettle on, love!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    [QUOTE=Denny]
    Originally posted by pickle

The product or service should be the field of expertise, not a willingness to bend to their whims for comformity that have little to do with getting deliverables out to the right standard and on time.

Why don't you read by bloody posts properly!
    Why dont you write them with a modicum of logic in the first place and then you wont get treated with such derision.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    You are spot on. I've even said myself that Denny cannot be real. But there is always a nagging doubt in my mind that here, we have a live one!
    Denny can't be real as anybody with enough time to post rubbish on here cannot be running a real business.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    I wouldn't take her too seriously, it's probably "Rag Week".

IGMC
    You are spot on. I've even said myself that Denny cannot be real. But there is always a nagging doubt in my mind that here, we have a live one!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Denny, despite the drivel we post on CUK sometimes, most of us are businesslike in the way we run our professional lives.

You appear to demand more from agents and clients than most on here, but that doesn't make you any more of a "business". You are still a contractor selling your services, just like the rest of us.

And as for selling yourself down the river - firstly, he who pays the piper calls the tune, and secondly, do you really think clients take contractors on to get the satisfaction of inconveniencing them to the hilt? That would be bizarre, not to say expensive!

I wouldn't take her too seriously, it's probably "Rag Week".

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    My business sells a service - that IS THE POINT! It doesn't sell myself down the river to suit the whims and aspirations of some money grabbing pimp or jealous permie client who just wants the satisfaction of inconveniencing me to the hilt with unnecessary travelling and rule following but with their finger on the 'instant termination' button when it suits them.
    Denny, despite the drivel we post on CUK sometimes, most of us are businesslike in the way we run our professional lives.

You appear to demand more from agents and clients than most on here, which is your choice, but it doesn't make you any more of a "business". You are still a contractor selling your services, just like the rest of us.

And as for selling yourself down the river - firstly, he who pays the piper calls the tune, and secondly, do you really think clients take contractors on to get the satisfaction of inconveniencing them to the hilt? That would be bizarre, not to say expensive!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    pickle,
    denny imagines that the world is some kind of soap opera in which they are the lead figure. I blame their lefty roots for distorting reality.

Leave a comment:

• pickle
    replied
    [QUOTE=Denny]
    Originally posted by pickle

The product or service should be the field of expertise, not a willingness to bend to their whims for comformity that have little to do with getting deliverables out to the right standard and on time.

Why don't you read by bloody posts properly!
    Why dont you engage your brain. The "conformity" is exactly what these big corps want. How expesnivse do you think it would be for, say, a city bank with , say, serveral thousand cotnractors on their books, to manage those suppliers/contractors/temps if they all supplied their services to their own T+Cs. It would be a management nightmare and negate most of the cost saving that using freelance proffesionals provides.

The "bending to their whims" is part of their "need", in addition to your skills / expertise. Either service the need of the clients, or go find a different target market.
    Last edited by pickle; 2 May 2007, 12:54.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt
    I've been contracting on and off for over 20 years now and I still don't know what IR35 is...
    I met a chap once who was contracting with the same client for 7 years and blissfuly unaware of any ir35 malarky.
    Ignorance is bliss.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt
    I've been contracting on and off for over 20 years now and I still don't know what IR35 is...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    This is childish and unnecessary.

Grow up!

This is Shaunbhoy!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X