• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: PSC's

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PSC's"

Collapse

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Burdock
    cheers chaps!

is the P35 something I will actually see and complete, or will it just be sucked up by the accountant? if so - how do they know how to answer this checkbox?

Thanks again- much appreciated!
    If you haven't received it by now, it sounds like your accountant has it routed to him. If he does your wages that is probably the case.

I'd give him a bell to make sure, and ask him what he does with that checkbox.

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    cheers chaps!

is the P35 something I will actually see and complete, or will it just be sucked up by the accountant? if so - how do they know how to answer this checkbox?

Thanks again- much appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    The checkbox is on page 4 of the P35 annual return. You have to complete this form every year, at about this time. The form asks:
    Do the rules relating to services provided through an intermediary (sometimes known as IR35) apply to any work carried out by any worker listed on this return?
    If you tick yes, it asks whether you've made your deemed payment.

edit: whoops, CD beat me to it.

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Will I actually get to see these forms, or will they just be handled automatically (or even electronically) by my accountant? I signed a form giving him authorisation to deal with my affairs. Does this mean that the IR still send to me first?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    Never seen an IR35 return, maybe because I'm not operating through a PSC

But yes as you say, the wording on the P35 may be as follows, seems they've changed it since I last looked, but it all boils down to the same:

"Do the rules relating to services provided through an intermediary (sometimes known as IR35) apply to any work carried out by any worker listed on this return?"

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    The stupid box on the IR35 return. I.e. the question "Does any of your work here fall under IR35" yes/no answer. Then the next question is "If yes, have you paid enough tax".

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    Originally posted by Burdock
    Sorry- dumb question- which box on which form are we referring to?
    Not 100% sure as my accountant does all the paperwork nowadays, but I think it might be this one on the P35 - Employer's Annual Return:

Do the rules relating to payments for services provided
    through a Service Company or a Partnership apply to
    any of your business income?

Or it may have been on the company incorporation forms. Just keep your eyes peeled it's out there somewhere!
    Last edited by Captain Dispensable; 1 May 2007, 07:41.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyajae
    Told you he wouldn't be happy!

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    Smilies cannot describe what I am feeling. I'll let you off as at 3 letters PSC is excluded from searches.
    Told you he wouldn't be happy!

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Hi I'm a newbie and have a daft question

What the feck is a PSC anyway? Is it the same sort of thing as an umbrella? Or is it another name for our limited companies?
    Smilies cannot describe what I am feeling. I'll let you off as at 3 letters PSC is excluded from searches.

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Sorry- dumb question- which box on which form are we referring to?

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo
    A personal service company is what HMRC now call your limited company that supplies your services.

Only if you voluntarily tick the box that asks "Is this company a personal services company?" i.e. We have this thing called IR35 but need you to tell us to apply it to you.

Hint: Don't tick the effing box!

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    Originally posted by andy
    shouldn't that be Personnel Service company ?
    Personal service company is a bit ..erm too personal.
    Sorry. I was having a quick fantasy. Better now!

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo
    Hi newbie

A personal service company is what HMRC now call your limited company that supplies your services.

And if people will keep using it it will become a generally accepted term along the lines of "disguised employee"

There is no legal basis for distinguishing different types of limited company in this way and it should not be encouraged.

Ah - so it was good that I didn't know what it was then yay me

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    shouldn't that be Personnel Service company ?
    Personal service company is a bit ..erm too personal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X