• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Best way to work

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best way to work"

Collapse

• ratewhore
    replied
    If you know someone with their own Ltd then just subcontract through that. I've had a few people I know on my books at one time or another...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by churkus
    cash in hand.
    Nope, payment in kind. Get the client to buy you equipment.

Do your clients manufacture anything you want/need?

Churchill - In "Feck the taxman every time" mode!

Leave a comment:

• churkus
    replied
    Originally posted by techgeek
    Can anyone recommend the best way to work if you have a perm position but do say 30-40 hours freelance on the side each month. Would it be best to go limited or work in another way.
    cash in hand.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    I think a lot depends on how much you do.

I dont pay that much to the accountant becuase they do very little (the odd bit of advice etc.) but all the paperwork is handled by me. All entered into sage accounts, all invoices and reciepts in date order so its easy for him to check etc.

He also doesnt do payroll or other stuff that I don't need.
    I do all my own bookkeeping as well, so all my accountant does is the annual accounts, plus a few odd bits like re-registering at Companies House. There must be a bit of correspondence with HMRC in there too.

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    Nah. I'm going to split at YE as I'd end up paying more as both accountatns wanted fees for months already gone by.
    Disregard my recommendation. If you want more info, PM me.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyajae
    SockPuppet - re accountant - did you follow up the recommendation I gave you?
    Nah. I'm going to split at YE as I'd end up paying more as both accountatns wanted fees for months already gone by.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by andy
    If possible could you pm me your accountant's number
    My accountant is charging £1200/year
    Erk, mine's 840. Who's your accountant Wendigo?

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied

I dont pay that much to the accountant becuase they do very little (the odd bit of advice etc.) but all the paperwork is handled by me. All entered into sage accounts, all invoices and reciepts in date order so its easy for him to check etc.

SockPuppet - re accountant - did you follow up the recommendation I gave you?

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Also, accounting fees shouldn't be very much - I pay about 550.
    If possible could you pm me your accountant's number
    My accountant is charging £1200/year

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Depends how much you get paid.

At 400 ish hours a year the accounting fees may not make the savings you'd get from a Ltd worth it. Expecially when your lower tax band is eaten up by your permie job.

Go umbrella or self employed.
    I don't know what he does, but I assume 400 hours will pull in between 10K and 20K.

Isn't his lower tax band used up whichever route he goes?

Also, accounting fees shouldn't be very much - I pay about 550. I've never used an umbrella, but is that really more than an umbrella will cream off from the 10K or 20K he earns? I'd like to know.

The other thing is that many client's insist on some kind of limited liability, which would rule out self-employed, although I don't know if that's true in his case.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Depends how much you get paid.

At 400 ish hours a year the accounting fees may not make the savings you'd get from a Ltd worth it. Expecially when your lower tax band is eaten up by your permie job.

Go umbrella or self employed.

Leave a comment:

• techgeek
    started a topic Best way to work

Best way to work

Can anyone recommend the best way to work if you have a perm position but do say 30-40 hours freelance on the side each month. Would it be best to go limited or work in another way.

Working...
X