• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bank charges

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bank charges"

Collapse

• Mustang
    replied
    I will look it up tonight and update this entry.

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang
    Erm - no they haven't. I specifically asked in the letter I wrote to them that they NOT just send me statements. They even acknowledged that in the reply!!

What did they say exactly in their reply? i.e. about acknowledging you didn't ask for statements.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by boredsenseless
    MCOL - what is it?
    Moneyclaim online. https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    No they have not. There is usually a charge for each copy of a statement and in this instance they have waived even the charge for the copies. For 6 years worth!
    I wouldn't pay the charges for the copies as I already have most of the statements and it wasn't what I asked for.

Giving statements is not giving you a list of charges. Extracting your charges should be no more difficult than a database query!
    My thoughts entirely - lazy bu**ers.

Looks to me they are hoping that wading through 6 years worth of statements (say 3 pages to 1 month that is 36 per year or 6 seperate sheets of paper). is going to put you off going any further.

Personally I'd give the information commissioners office a call and see what they say.
    I will probably end up wading through and pushing ahead anyway - will forward copies of the documentation/letters to the IC office......

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    MCOL - what is it?
    www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Online courts service web site. The quickest way to pursue a small claim.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    They've done exactly what you asked so what is your problem. They have provided you with details of all charges incurred by your wife over the last 6 years.
    Erm - no they haven't. I specifically asked in the letter I wrote to them that they NOT just send me statements. They even acknowledged that in the reply!!

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    No they have not. There is usually a charge for each copy of a statement and in this instance they have waived even the charge for the copies. For 6 years worth!

Giving statements is not giving you a list of charges.

Looks to me they are hoping that wading through 6 years worth of statements (say 3 pages to 1 month that is 36 per year or 6 seperate sheets of paper). is going to put you off going any further.

Personally I'd give the information commissioners office a call and see what they say. Extracting your charges should be no more difficult than a database query!
    Have you phoned them (maybe you have) and told them all this? You may get the list of charges for free now.

The banks do everything to prevent you from reclaiming charges -- they are bank are they not? They have made millions off these - It is reputed that it allegedly only costs £1.50 to bounce a cheque whilst the bank charges upwards of £30 for this. I don't mind paying £1.50 for a honest mistake...but £30!!!

The UK seems full of incredible, ridiculous charges...parking tickets for example. £60! the equivalent of $100! Most cities in America charge around $25(sic) for a ticket...a reasonable £15.

I sometimes feel that whilst the royalty no longer runs the country day to day...the govt. still penalises people with essentially a public flogging!

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by mictech
    why do people wait till they rack up years of charges on there accounts. If you can't manage your own money, you deserve to be charged for being stupid.
    I always know when I am approaching my overdraft limits and have them ammended as required. If the bank won't work with you find another bank.
    I don't give a sh1t how you manage your affairs. Sometimes bank errors can occur or there can be a variety of legitimate reasons why finances are hard to keep track of. Don't make assumptions and cast aspertions without knowing all the facts.

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied
    Originally posted by Burdock
    I was one day away from winning by default on MCOL.

Cheers Barclays!
    MCOL - what is it?

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    I was one day away from winning by default on MCOL.

Cheers Barclays!

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Burdock
    moneysavingexpert.com

I am at the 'Barclays have filed a defence, so awaiting court date' stage...
    Same site as most people I think.

Halifax seems easier than most to reclaim charges - often just a phone call gets them back, which worked the two previous times. I was just about to get onto MCOL when I got the "offer" letter. I've given my response to it and am now waiting for Halifax to respond.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    They've done exactly what you asked so what is your problem. They have provided you with details of all charges incurred by your wife over the last 6 years.

The FDA act requires people to divulge the information they have, it doesn't stipulate it must come in the format the requestor wants.

What was your problem again as it looks like they've done everything you asked them to.

Giving statements is not giving you a list of charges.

Personally I'd give the information commissioners office a call and see what they say. Extracting your charges should be no more difficult than a database query!

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000
    Which website are you getting your templates and advice from?
    moneysavingexpert.com

I am at the 'Barclays have filed a defence, so awaiting court date' stage...

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    It will be easier to simply go through the statements and total it up me thinks. Then start the process of getting your refund.

I have managed to get my bank to "offer" to refund the charges as a "goodwill" - like they have a choice. I say "offer" because they wanted me to sign a waiver against any future requests for refund. I have refused it and will push on to court if I need to.

Which website are you getting your templates and advice from?

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang
    My wife wrote to her bank ( a high stret bank from SE Asia) with one of the standard letters asking for details of all her bank charges over the past 6 years and enclosed her £10 cheque as per the Freedom of Information act.

The bank wrote back stating that they would provide this information by sending her the past 6 years worth of bank statements!! They duly said that this was not chargeable and returned her cheque.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I am debating what course of action to take next.

1) Do nothing and give up! (Not likely!!)

2) Open all the statements and dig out the information and the proceed 110% to push for the refund.

3) Take all the statement envelopes, go to her branch to see the Manager and put them on his desk and ask to stop taking the p1ss and send the info we requested.

4) Write to the branch and ask for the information again and enclose another cheque.

5) Just keep sending letters asking for the information until I get it and it's up to them if they keep sending things out.

At the moment I am tempted to do '3' but probably point '4' is likely.

Any comments from "The Panel"......?!

The FDA act requires people to divulge the information they have, it doesn't stipulate it must come in the format the requestor wants.

What was your problem again as it looks like they've done everything you asked them to.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X