• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Government rates.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Government rates."

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    There was a guy on here who works on the HMRC help desk and he was happily ignoring IR35, my contract is with an agency and the government department had no say in what was in it I just provide the service they asked for.

As said before IR35 is a state of mind, just think and act as a company providing a service rather than an employee.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On
    Just out of interest do government contracts all fall inside IR35?
    As me learned colleague mentioned, they are commercial contracts. Yet, usually they are written to fall inside IR35.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On
    No, why would they be any different from commercial contracts?

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    I think those days are gone
    So is it a good idea to ask a client about the rate if you are suspecting the agent is making 50%?
    Last edited by 2uk; 17 April 2007, 15:24.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by 2uk
    Also some agents might be in a dodgy/corrupt agreement with clients. For example they both tell you a certain rate and it looks like the agent is making the regular 15%. However in reality the agent is making 5 times that.
    I think those days are gone

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Also some agents might be in a dodgy/corrupt agreement with clients. For example they both tell you a certain rate and it looks like the agent is making the regular 15%. However in reality the agent is making 5 times that.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    my government rates are almost 2k the robbing barstewards

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    mct , mcse s/m , ccna , ccsa/e , 8 years exp.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by 2uk
    I am still too green to this game. Got another shocker today. The agent offered 160 /day , but continued the discussion after I requested 260. ..
    Quote us your skill set and experience, and we'll put you right.

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    I am still too green to this game. Got another shocker today. The agent offered 160 /day , but continued the discussion after I requested 260. ..

Leave a comment:

• Barriebazg
    replied
    Seems to me you are being taken for a ride. I am currently on a Government contract and on more than that for less work!! The agent will be taking a nice cut of your money!!

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    You also have to remember that these public sector bodies will sit and moan about a contractor getting £5 per day more than they think they should get but will not bat an eye at employing the services of a consultant @ £1000 per day.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    I'm on the best rate I've ever had and I'm on a gov site the usual practice when bidding for gov work is actual cost x2... after all its only the tax payer footing the bill.
    I would agree to the adding of a premium, as such work does your head in and really the client ought to pay if you can't watch and enjoy Coras when you get home.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I'm on the best rate I've ever had and I'm on a gov site the usual practice when bidding for gov work is actual cost x2... after all its only the tax payer footing the bill.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X