• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brown lost £2 billion selling UK's gold"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    Interest rates are likely to have to go up again. Unemployment until very recently (last month or two) was going up and that was the official figures.
    Just need a new way of calculating the Employment figures

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    So it was a bad decision, made worse by being badly implemented.

Fair?
    I would not be so kind as to describe it as a bad decision!

This is just one of the many problems that are now coming back to roost. The pension raid is another. Gibbo Brown is not nearly as clever as he likes (and wants us) to think.

The boom in housing prices and personal debt was created artificially by the BoE to avoid the country entering a recession after the 9/11 attacks. GB has a hand in the appointment of a good number of the MPC members, so BoE decisions are not nearly as independent as one might think.

Growth in this country is almost entirely down to immigration and the growth of public sector jobs. Manufacturing is employing record low levels at the moment, and the new industries are not employing enough to make up the slack - we have record numbers of people classed as economically inactive, and therefore not counted in unemployment statistics.

Gordon Brown was bequethed a strong economy with rising employment and lowering inflation. We now have rising inflation. Interest rates are likely to have to go up again. Unemployment until very recently (last month or two) was going up and that was the official figures.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    jeeez,

ah is not alluding to nothing

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• cykophysh39
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope
    What Milan is probably alluding to, and I don't know why he's being so covert, because it's not really a secret, is the coordinated attempt by central banks to manipulate the gold price.

To sum up, central banks want the price of gold to (a) remain low and (b) volatile so that people are dissuaded from viewing precious metals as money, in order to support their own fiat currencies.

Milan, am I right or am I right? I suspect you read most of the same financial sources I do anyway.

Actually he is just trying to allude to that he is more informed than we are, and that he believes the financial rags

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    However the BoE was not asked it's advice on this, and many officials were dismayed at it. A number of other central banks asked the chancellor not to do it (not least because it would eventually reduce the value of their holdings by 10%).

The Chancellor's chosen method (auction, on announced days) also was atypical in that most choose to put Gold on the market in secret. By making his intentions public the Chancellor aedversely effected the price of gold and what he would get for it.

Since the sale the price of gold has gone up by 3 times
    No doubt he saw it as the "fairest" way of disposal (being ironic so don't flame!)

Intresting that the Swiss managed to dispose of a similar amount in secret without distorting the market

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    there you see, everyone agrees with Milan in the end

all the best,

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    no it's not my friend,

but there are always opportunities, and in the upturn it is our jobs to manouvre ourselves into the best position to survive a downturn

Milan.
    You had no argument from me there.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    So it was a bad decision, made worse by being badly implemented.

Fair?

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope
    To sum up, central banks want the price of gold to (a) remain low and (b) volatile so that people are dissuaded from viewing precious metals as money
    However the BoE was not asked it's advice on this, and many officials were dismayed at it. A number of other central banks asked the chancellor not to do it (not least because it would eventually reduce the value of their holdings by 10%).

The Chancellor's chosen method (auction, on announced days) also was atypical in that most choose to put Gold on the market in secret. By making his intentions public the Chancellor aedversely effected the price of gold and what he would get for it.

Since the sale the price of gold has gone up by 3 times

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    no it's not my friend,

but there are always opportunities, and in the upturn it is our jobs to manouvre ourselves into the best position to survive a downturn

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    so what you saying then ?
    I am saying that in a downturn work will be harder to get, and like most on here, I am not financially independent. I cannot sit back for a few years with no income. Is it that difficult to understand?

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    this is Bob, why I don't understand why the opposition are bringing this up anyway because as far as I try to understand this stuff they'd have had to act in the same way anyway

Milan.
    Do a little elementary research into political strategy and you'll soon see why.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Whatever the motivation for the sale, and despite the fact that we are probably in a golden age, GB is still a dope and is not above criticism

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    this is Bob, why I don't understand why the opposition are bringing this up anyway because as far as I try to understand this stuff they'd have had to act in the same way anyway

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    nod

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X