• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Englands Second City"

Collapse

• BOBJ
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Where's the option for Saffron Walden?
    Whats Saffron Walden? It sounds like a disease...

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Where's the option for Saffron Walden?
    It was city with a "c" zeit, not an "sh"

hth

SB

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    It was our industrial capital whereas London is the administrative one!
    What’s Industry? We don't need that do we? Let’s just sell burgers and push paperwork about, after all the other leading economies of the world aren’t backed up by some sort of industry... oh wait a minute

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by RRH
    There must be a lot of people posting on here who live/are from BirMINGham as emotional bias that is the only reason I can see why they are leading this poll! The place is a sty and thats an insult to pigs.
    Yes, yes, it might be a sty, but that wasn't the poll - it is still the second city.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Numptycorner
    I have met grown adults that couldn't draw you a map of the UK and place the major cities on it.
    I'm good at it. When I was eight I got five merits at school for drawing GB from my head with several major cities correctly positioned.

That was in Norwich, and some of my classmates were aghast that there was something beyond Norfolk.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    It was our industrial capital
    No, that was Glasgow.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    Myth. Most of the wealth created in Britain appears to be created at the registered office of the company that does it.

Vodafone's 16 million subscribers might as well all be in London, as far as profit centre location goes.
    BP's oil rigs out in the North Sea post their profit in London. In fact so do the Russian ones.

Conversely, infrastructure projects in London are usually classified as national projects, whereas those elsewhere are regional. So London's cost seems lower than it is.

The reality is, as for capitals and empires throughout history, that the rest of the country subsidises London. I don't mind, that is in the nature of things. But I won't shut up when someone describes it as if the wealth flowed the other way (this applies especially whan that someone is a loud prat called Ken).
    I'm just going on what an article said in the Indy last month, it was sent to me from a London mate who works in finance and takes great pleasure in going on about how he is part of the powerhouse that keeps the country afloat, he talks a lot of tulip though.

Dam statistics!

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    You cant be serious!
    I have met grown adults that couldn't draw you a map of the UK and place the major cities on it, only the other week I met someone who though Middlesbrough was near Birmingham. You'd expect such geographical illiteracy in the US but this is a very small country with supposedly more informed people. These people never travel very far and have absolutely no interest in the rich history of these isles, infact they are brainwashed into thinking they live in some kind of utopia part of the UK. It beggars belief when you look around some of the concrete sh1tholes of commutersville UK that apparently are so good they never leave.

Leave a comment:

• HRH
    replied
    There must be a lot of people posting on here who live/are from BirMINGham as emotional bias that is the only reason I can see why they are leading this poll! The place is a sty and thats an insult to pigs.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by RRH
    on what basis?
    It was our industrial capital whereas London is the administrative one!

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by XTC
    Where's Leeds?

You cant be serious!

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    ...oh wait a minute London subsidises the rest of the UK... win win
    Myth. Most of the wealth created in Britain appears to be created at the registered office of the company that does it.

Vodafone's 16 million subscribers might as well all be in London, as far as profit centre location goes.
    BP's oil rigs out in the North Sea post their profit in London. In fact so do the Russian ones.

Conversely, infrastructure projects in London are usually classified as national projects, whereas those elsewhere are regional. So London's cost seems lower than it is.

The reality is, as for capitals and empires throughout history, that the rest of the country subsidises London. I don't mind, that is in the nature of things. But I won't shut up when someone describes it as if the wealth flowed the other way (this applies especially whan that someone is a loud prat called Ken).

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Where Peter Ridsdale comes from.
    One Peter Risdale, there's only One Peter Risdale !

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebird
    yorkshire. [ish]
    Where Peter Ridsdale comes from.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by XTC
    Where's Leeds?
    yorkshire. [ish]