• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The ultimate doomed mortgage"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Numptycorner
    As certain as we have a buy now while prices are cheap mentality we will eventaully have a mass selling panic.
    It depends on how long ago you bought, I bought mine 7 years ago and if the value halved I'd have lost nothing.

As long as I can sell and by a similar sized property on the costas on 15 years time I'll be happy

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    And I guess your house is worth 2x what it was then so it was a good move seeing as you now have roughly 40% equity in the house.

It may look bad buying with more than value of the house but in the long run it’s better than sitting back and watching the price increase beyond what is affordable.

Of course if the market goes tits up you're buggered!

It worked out really really well for me.

I had 2 loans, which came to about £15k, and cost me about £500 a month.
    I bought my house for about £45k, and lumped the loans in with it (so had a mortgage of about £60k). My mortgage payment was £400 a month, so I actually spent £100 a month less than before I bought it!

I kept the house 2 years and sold for £95k.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    funny thing is it's not like this on the mainland

you are means tested to see how much you can spare
    to repay a loan each month and then the size of the loan
    is calculated accordingly
    It used to be like that here too.
    these kinds of offers will only push prices higher, a never
    ending spiral
    Yes, stupid isn't it. Unfettered lending can only end in tears!

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    As certain as we have a buy now while prices are cheap mentality we will eventaully have a mass selling panic.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    This is nothing new. I bought my first house about 7 years ago with a Northern Rock 125% mortgage - it was the only way I could afford it at the time, to clear off a couple of loans to make me able to afford the mortgage repayment.

Like I say, this was about 7 years ago.
    And I guess your house is worth 2x what it was then so it was a good move seeing as you now have roughly 40% equity in the house.

It may look bad buying with more than value of the house but in the long run it’s better than sitting back and watching the price increase beyond what is affordable.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    funny thing is it's not like this on the mainland

you are means tested to see how much you can spare
    to repay a loan each month and then the size of the loan
    is calculated accordingly

these kinds of offers will only push prices higher, a never
    ending spiral

good for owners

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    the overdraft mortgage, it's the way forward. Or taking out loans to afford the repayments

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    This is nothing new. I bought my first house about 7 years ago with a Northern Rock 125% mortgage - it was the only way I could afford it at the time, to clear off a couple of loans to make me able to afford the mortgage repayment.

Like I say, this was about 7 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Bastards taking out those mortgages. Heathens the lot of them.

Sockpuppet in "I was meant to exchange for my house today then the ****ers ended my contract" mode

Leave a comment:

• HRH
    replied
    Im just glad Im on a fixed rate- I bought my firsat home in Aug 06 with a 100% mortgage repayment so these rises would have put me in a pretty dire financial situation if I was interest only/variable......

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    started a topic The ultimate doomed mortgage

The ultimate doomed mortgage

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle1625924.ece

ALLIANCE & Leicester (A&L) is the latest lender to offer mortgages for more than the value of the property, just as experts warn that one more rise in interest rates could be the final nail in the coffin for the housing boom, writes Clare Francis.

The Bank of England granted borrowers a stay of execution last week when it kept Bank rate on hold at 5.25%, but most analysts think that it will lift rates to 5.5% in the coming months.

Mortgages such as those from Alliance & Leicester have attracted the tag “negative-equity loans” because borrowers instantly owe more than the value of the property, and if prices fell you would become even more indebted. Lenders counter that less than 100% of the loan is usually secured on the property, with the rest in unsecured loans.

A&L’s Plusmortgage range allows you to borrow up to 125% of a property’s value — 95% is secured on the house, with the remainder borrowed as an unsecured loan.

The crash cometh! The crash cometh!

Working...
X