• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Relegated from the Premiership"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Righty ho, bang on with that observation. No conotations of homosexual high jinks amongst the rugby fraternity at all, ever. Umm ....

Gis 52 minutes of yer time on a pitch and I'll see what I can do to relieve you of your weird notions BGG. Which leg do you fancy walking on for the next couple of months?
    Ok ok ok.......you made your point. Sorry and my apologies.

They are both poofball games.

Apologies for being singularist.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    Doesn't matter what you say, Franchise FC are not a real football club, full stop. They're an invented entity to placate those stupid enough to follow. All the people I know from the MK area are Rushdon & Diamonds, Northampton or Luton fans, and rightly so. MK Dons are a disgrace and should never have been allowed to be in the league. They should have been forced to have started at the same level as AFC Wimbledon, anything else is being utterly unfair to all the other new clubs that get formed up and down the country every year - and yes, MK Dons are a new club by every definition.
    Well, tough luck on you then, eh?
    Last edited by wendigo100; 5 April 2007, 22:31.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect
    to marcus, from the other Watford supporter. The good news for us is that we're using all that lovely premiership money to build a new stand, from which we can both watch the mighty Hornets.
    I remember going to Vicarage Road a few years ago to a game proudly holding tickets to Row Z. Problem was, there was no row Z, it had been removed the previous season for safety reasons. Shame no-one told the ticket office. We were lucky, we manage to grab unfilled seats from other rows. Others weren't so lucky...

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Not me - the 'one' must be that nutter who hands out xerox copies of his new songs for the crowd to sing, most of which are longer than a medium-sized opera.

You'd be surprised how many old fans come up here. Why, only last week for the Walsall game, two very attractive young ladies poured out of the station in old Wimbledon regalia.

As for selling out, I'd describe it more as giving up in frustration. Let's see what happens when AFC apply to join the league, get told that Kingstonian's ground is miles below standard, and spend 13 fruitless years trying to get planning permission to build a new one in south London. It appears that MK wanted the club and Merton didn't.

It's not that Wimbledon had many fans anyway - they usually had the lowest crowds in the Premiership, and only Sam Hamman kept them afloat. After he left they were slowly going bust, so doing nothing wasn't an option. At least they didn't go to Dublin!
    Doesn't matter what you say, Franchise FC are not a real football club, full stop. They're an invented entity to placate those stupid enough to follow. All the people I know from the MK area are Rushdon & Diamonds, Northampton or Luton fans, and rightly so. MK Dons are a disgrace and should never have been allowed to be in the league. They should have been forced to have started at the same level as AFC Wimbledon, anything else is being utterly unfair to all the other new clubs that get formed up and down the country every year - and yes, MK Dons are a new club by every definition.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123
    Actually, I was referring to the 'one' who continued to support them when they moved.

I lived in LBM, I was well chuffed when they won the cup (even if I did have to walk 4 miles home because the traffic was going nowhere), but like (almost) everyone else I thought that they sold out.

tim
    Not me - the 'one' must be that nutter who hands out xerox copies of his new songs for the crowd to sing, most of which are longer than a medium-sized opera.

You'd be surprised how many old fans come up here. Why, only last week for the Walsall game, two very attractive young ladies poured out of the station in old Wimbledon regalia.

As for selling out, I'd describe it more as giving up in frustration. Let's see what happens when AFC apply to join the league, get told that Kingstonian's ground is miles below standard, and spend 13 fruitless years trying to get planning permission to build a new one in south London. It appears that MK wanted the club and Merton didn't.

It's not that Wimbledon had many fans anyway - they usually had the lowest crowds in the Premiership, and only Sam Hamman kept them afloat. After he left they were slowly going bust, so doing nothing wasn't an option. At least they didn't go to Dublin!

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    to marcus, from the other Watford supporter. The good news for us is that we're using all that lovely premiership money to build a new stand, from which we can both watch the mighty Hornets.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Behave yourself!

What we lack in quantity we make up for in quality. According to a study by De Montford University, in their Premiership days Wimbledon had the most educated fans in the league.

Obviously some other clubs didn't take a lot of beating on that score!
    Actually, I was referring to the 'one' who continued to support them when they moved.

I lived in LBM, I was well chuffed when they won the cup (even if I did have to walk 4 miles home because the traffic was going nowhere), but like (almost) everyone else I thought that they sold out.

tim

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I'll tell you it was a long bloody hunt for that glory. I started supporting them in 74 when they got relegated. I only picked Man U because some big kids used to come into our yard at school and throw stones at all the kids who didn't support them. I only fell for that one once.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    "What we lack in quantity we make up for in quality. According to a study by De Montford University, in their Premiership days Wimbledon had the most educated fans in the league"

Shame they could only muster crowds of 7 or 8 though.
    That's because there's nothing for the glory hunters here, Tony!

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    "What we lack in quantity we make up for in quality. According to a study by De Montford University, in their Premiership days Wimbledon had the most educated fans in the league"

Shame they could only muster crowds of 7 or 8 though.

" I don't actually want us to be promoted to the premiership. The football's boring up there"

Well it would be when your getting beat all the time. I think It's quite good at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123
    So you're the one then.

tim
    Behave yourself!

What we lack in quantity we make up for in quality. According to a study by De Montford University, in their Premiership days Wimbledon had the most educated fans in the league.

Obviously some other clubs didn't take a lot of beating on that score!

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    One thing I've noticed about the Championship - you don't get the same team winning it year after year.
    Funny that isn't it? and the same teams never finished in the bottom 3.

Spooky.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    As a Leeds fan myself, whilst I would love to stay in the Championship (obviously), I don't actually want us to be promoted to the premiership. The football's boring up there. Until this season, I think I've enjoyed our recent years in the Championship much more than when we were in the top division.
    One thing I've noticed about the Championship - you don't get the same team winning it year after year.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964
    I dream of being relegated from the Premiership.

(Leeds fan)
    As a Leeds fan myself, whilst I would love to stay in the Championship (obviously), I don't actually want us to be promoted to the premiership. The football's boring up there. Until this season, I think I've enjoyed our recent years in the Championship much more than when we were in the top division.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw
    Gis 52 minutes of yer time on a pitch and I'll see what I can do to relieve you of your weird notions BGG. Which leg do you fancy walking on for the next couple of months?
    You need to learn to kick a ball!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X