• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: No-life people

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "No-life people"

Collapse

• mictech
    replied
    It's because they clocked in a stupid o'clock and there clock is running and had five cups of coffee and done feck all.

Great if they are paid by the hour, otherwise they are dumb ass tulipes.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    I often wonder about these people. I have so much stuff and interests to do outside the office.

It reminds me of the film the Sixth Sense: you walk amongst them but are not one of them.

Wait a minute, that film is about nobody else being able to see you. Something like that :-)

Anyway, I'm always happy if on the site where I'm working there's a like-minded contractor or two (I don't mean one of those permie-contractor mutants, a real one)

It's like having a secret masonic handshake - maybe cuk needs one of those?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Conversely to the orginal point, what make people who come in early feel so smug? Is the quality of work performed before 8:30 so much better than than done afterward?

Leave a comment:

• TheRightStuff
    replied
    before bonuses got paid the floor was full of permies when I got in at 8:45 and left around 5.30-6. Now permies are coming in at 9.15 and leaving at 5:30-6. So many brown noses. Don't think i could go back to working that way.

Leave a comment:

• mictech
    replied
    I ask one of the managers at one of my gigs why he always was the last to leave and he confirmed it wasn't that he had a lot of work to do, it was that he was just crap at his job and need to extra hours to get by.

At the end of the day he was a very likable guy and he still got the job done on time.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    What profit has he who works in that in which he labors?

3:10 I have seen the burden which God has given to the sons of men to be afflicted with.

3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in their hearts, yet so that man can’t find out the work that God has done from the beginning even to the end.

3:12 I know that there is nothing better for them than to rejoice, and to do good as long as they live.

3:13 Also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy good in all his labor, is the gift of God.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    In Germany it is considered a sign of incompetence if you have to work late - if you cannot manage to get your job done in eight hours then there is something wrong with your planning skills.

The insidious culture of presentism in the UK , that is 'working late' usually indicates insecurity in the individual concerned and a vain hope to improve their status by appearing to work lenghty hours - I suspect the majority of these people are not in fact working but surfing the net etc

Then again -All is Vanity.

Ecclesiastes

1:1 The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem:

1:2 “Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher; “Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.”

1:3 What does man gain from all his labor in which he labors under the sun?

1:4 One generation goes, and another generation comes; but the earth remains forever.

1:5 The sun also rises, and the sun goes down, and hurries to its place where it rises.

1:6 The wind goes toward the south, and turns around to the north. It turns around continually as it goes, and the wind returns again to its courses.

1:7 All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full. To the place where the rivers flow, there they flow again.

1:8 All things are full of weariness beyond uttering. The eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.

1:9 That which has been is that which shall be; and that which has been done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

1:10 Is there a thing of which it may be said, “Behold, this is new?” It has been long ago, in the ages which were before us.

1:11 There is no memory of the former; neither shall there be any memory of the latter that are to come, among those that shall come after.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 28 March 2007, 09:31.

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Someone even sadder than me...
    Woah, steady there Zeity!

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    In at 9:30, out the door just before 5pm. No one's complained yet, and if they do, f**k 'em.

Leave a comment:

• TheRightStuff
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall
    I wouldn't know, I'm out of here are 4pm ( plus a 30 to 45 second attempt to disguise my clock watching ). No idea what goes on once I leave.
    In my team I think they all stay until 6/7 o'clock. There's 1 guy (not in my team) I've never seen come in or leave. I've been here once until 8pm and he was still here. For a JOKE I said one day I will beat you. He said don't bother I leave around 9-10. He said he has nothing to go home for and prefers to be in the office surfing the net.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    Aye Milan, ney, I am not bitter. Besides, decision is taken, either euroland asap or the possibility of working 50% time in UK and 50% from home in Eastern europe. Future looks bright, not as bright as for SAP people but not too bad either. It's just sasguru that gets on my nerves but I never had too much patience with pompous idiots.
    Morning

Remember you can never escape from yourself.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    They are always the same people. They can't finish before 7 or 8 pm. How many in your company?

I would say a good 10% here. Not so bad afterall. I feel sorry for them.
    I wouldn't know, I'm out of here are 4pm ( plus a 30 to 45 second attempt to disguise my clock watching ). No idea what goes on once I leave.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I do it.

three ten hour days , tue,wed,thur

means I can start late on monday and travel home Thursday night

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan
    I don't think the people who spend that much time there actually get more done esp. in software development as they start making mistakes and bad decisions which cost more time to fix down the line.
    I start those at 8 a.m.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    i pm'd you

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X