• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Words I hate

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Words I hate"

Collapse

• hyperD
    replied
    Hazel Beers.

It's simply not funny and she's minging ging with a spooky Stepford Wive's media-trained smile that only nuliebour bots seem to get.

and as for merchandising with her campaign for deputy leadership with beer mats, baseball caps, cups, buttons, hoodies, clocks (FFS!)

Good on the Lib Dem activists who are handing out T-shirts nearby saying:

"I'm a minger"

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule
    Proactive

What was so wrong with active that it needed a pro?
    It doesn't suggest taking the initiative.

I personally hate the term "hard working families"

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    pieces of seven, pieces of seven.
    Come on LG, no-ones' gonna bite (but it is a great line ).

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Jim Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!
    pieces of seven, pieces of seven.

Leave a comment:

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    1. "It's all good" (translation: we're up sh1t creek)
    2. "We need to take a view on that" (translation: we haven't got a chuffing clue about that issue)
    3. "We need to take that back to the business (translation: as 2.)
    4. "We need to get more sticky with our customers" (translation: we're haemorraging revenue, don't know how to stop it, but frequent use of this buzz-phrase will keep me in my job for another 3 months)
    5. "Your business model is all wrong" (translation: we don't like/understand what you've presented, but if we describe it as a 'model' you might go away and do another wasted month of rework while we get a breather)
    6. "That's a good challenge, but..." (translation: don't pester us with rational argument)

All uttered by permies (feck'n permies...)

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Proactive

What was so wrong with active that it needed a pro?

Leave a comment:

• Ennui
    replied
    I once worked for a woman who would often end her statements with "am I right or am I right?". She was usually neither.

Leave a comment:

• Ennui
    replied
    "to be honest"
    "know what I mean?"
    "you get me?"
    and the worst of the lot, "you know"

Leave a comment:

• Swiss Tony
    replied
    "at the end of the day"

Leave a comment:

• BrollyBabe
    replied
    Is everything "ship shape"?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    on one of my first contracts I had to work with a bunch of HR management consultants to help them merge a group of companies. In the first meeting I attended they started using all those kind of phrases "ducks in a row", "reading from the same page" etc., but I didn't know they were stock phrases.

I'd just finished an arts degree and I thought that they just had an easy, if prosaic, command of metaphor.

At one point they asked me to present a proposed workflow that I was half way through designing, and I said that they were 'trying to open the oven door before the cake had risen'. A couple of them smiled but the rest just nodded appreciatively and carried on.

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    footfall, upselling.

Leave a comment:

• jh0711
    replied
    http://isd.usc.edu/~karl/Bingo/bbbingo.html?eBusiness

sfw

just buzzwords bingo been done before but go on fill yer boots with a vertical marketing proposition ideally placed for crossselling opportunites into a currently horizontal market which is ripe for customer aquisition, net market makers and incubate some best of breed wizzywig e-commerce solutions.

In a nutshell

probably?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Upscale, Low hanging fruit and Channel.

Leave a comment:

• Royston Vasey
    replied
    "crash out" as in Henman crashes out of yet another tournament....Newcastle crash out of another cup competition......

Imagine Henman doing a hand brake turn on the Centre Court and smashing into the Umpire's Chair while taking out some twats from the front row with stupid hats and "Come on Tim" T shirts. Now that would be crashing out in style.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X