• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gordon the "Tory Slayer" and his "masterful" Budget"

Collapse

• wonderwaif
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    It's not as stupid as one might think.

Those low-paid losers you mention - Labour already have their votes. For the most part they are "red rosette on a donkey" voters.

And somebody had to lose, because Gordon had to raise taxes somehow.
    You're quite right. There are areas of the North where it has always been the case that where you are born decides who you vote for.
    No matter how badly they might get treated by Labour, they could no more vote for anybody else than they could grow wings and fly.
    I imagine that works in reverse with the posh folk, but being a working class oike I wouldn't really know.
    It isn't 100% obviously. My father never had a pot to piss in and has always detested Labour.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    This budget is rather stupid, middle incomes and the rich won't really notice anything, as pointed out the real losers are those on 17k or less without kids and more so those on <10k without kids. This will create more benefit depndants as the advantage of moving off benefits and into low paid work is diminished. Fiscal dragtastic!
    It's not as stupid as one might think.

Those low-paid losers you mention - Labour already have their votes. For the most part they are "red rosette on a donkey" voters.

And somebody had to lose, because Gordon had to raise taxes somehow.

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    This budget is rather stupid, middle incomes and the rich won't really notice anything, as pointed out the real losers are those on 17k or less without kids and more so those on <10k without kids. This will create more benefit depndants as the advantage of moving off benefits and into low paid work is diminished. Fiscal dragtastic!

What a moron!
    For once I agree with you.

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    I have to say, the tax cut was a masterpiece

for the political spectators amongst us, this tax cut stroke
    must have taken the wind out of the Torie's sails

if NL continue like this they'll achieve their historic third term

it's hard for any sceptic to argue,

the fact is, thanks to house prices everybody is rich

and thanks to the falling prices of white and brown goods
    everybody can buy as much of what they want as possible

in the 80's a vcr was more than a month's wages today
    a dvd player is an hour's wages

do the maths

feel the force

Milan.
    In the 80's the average house prince was around twice the national average wage. It now approaching something like 7 times.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Now now SA, you don't believe that any more than I do. Now Tony Blair is another matter - I know you've got a special place for him...

Gordon is a bit strange though. He said he was an Arctic Monkeys fan, but when asked for his favourite track he couldn't name a single title. Why do it?

He's not exactly Mr Connect-with-people either, is he. Treats everyone around him with contempt.

Even Gordon's proposal to his wife went something like:
    "I must breed. You will mate with me. What is your name?"
    Well the Tory Shadow defence Minister is very much a Bowie fan - I know as he still has my 1977 copy of Diamond Dogs - the one which showed Bowie mutalating into a dog complete with dog's testicles - literally the dogs bolloxs - which was subsequently airbrushed from later releases.

The above was considered shocking in 1977 but these days - anything goes.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Cause he's cool and trendy!
    Now now SA, you don't believe that any more than I do. Now Tony Blair is another matter - I know you've got a special place for him...

Gordon is a bit strange though. He said he was an Arctic Monkeys fan, but when asked for his favourite track he couldn't name a single title. Why do it?

He's not exactly Mr Connect-with-people either, is he. Treats everyone around him with contempt.

Even Gordon's proposal to his wife went something like:
    "I must breed. You will mate with me. What is your name?"

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    'We need to plan and find alternatives.',

Milan.

Think I will join payschemeplus and start using my cyprus address

Leave a comment:

• Ennui
    replied
    I was happily contracting in the late nineties. Times were VERY good. No IR35 fears, good rates, long boozy lunches.

The IR35 hype drove me to go permie. I only returned to contracting last year and I must say it's a very different game now.

I'd be happy with the slight increase in tax if it means no more IR35.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    "I too was not contracting under the tories so can't answer, only the old dinosaurs here like Xoggoth and Tony English and BlasterBates can answer that."

How old are you milan?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    as they say in the Smoke,

nice one fella

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• wonderwaif
    replied
    wonderwaif,

I too was not contracting under the tories so can't answer, only the old dinosaurs here like Xoggoth and Tony English and BlasterBates can answer that.

'Don't you think the coming fall will wipe out a lot of the gains we may have made?',

I have been sending a clear message during this whole thread, if contractors have been wise with their rewards then if the predicted crash which let's face it everybody has been predicting since the .dot con crash, if such a crash happens and if contractors have been prudent and invested their gains then they will only benefit from a crash

I only hope there is another 5 years or so before the crash, just enough time to really cushion the benes nest

Who can answer whether the economy thrived because of NL or inspite of NL, who can answer that ?

Who can predict the future ?

Milan.
    I have invested wisely mon ami.
    I have bought a house. When the crash comes I will be sitting in my wholly owned house looking out at the ex rent-junkies sleeping on the street as they cannot afford their rent anymore.

<faint splash >

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    That fella Demond who was in the hatch. He can.

So there.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    wonderwaif,

I too was not contracting under the tories so can't answer, only the old dinosaurs here like Xoggoth and Tony English and BlasterBates can answer that.

'Don't you think the coming fall will wipe out a lot of the gains we may have made?',

I have been sending a clear message during this whole thread, if contractors have been wise with their rewards then if the predicted crash which let's face it everybody has been predicting since the .dot con crash, if such a crash happens and if contractors have been prudent and invested their gains then they will only benefit from a crash

I only hope there is another 5 years or so before the crash, just enough time to really cushion the benes nest

Who can answer whether the economy thrived because of NL or inspite of NL, who can answer that ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• wonderwaif
    replied
    Ok Beansy, fair enough.
    So don't you think the economy has been stable in spite of, not because of Labour?
    What about their assault on IT contractors through IR35, and fast track visas?
    What about the mountain of debt?
    Don't you think the coming fall will wipe out a lot of the gains we may have made?
    I wasn't contracting under the Tories, but weren't the years between 1992 and 2002 equally good for contractors?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    yeah but I'm not winding anyone up

I think IT Contractors in general are enjoying prosperous times and have been
    for how long, perhaps 10 years or more ?

No matter about other sections of the populous IT Contractors are doing ok as a result of the economic stability in the UK - fact

Milan.
    It is not a fact it is your opinion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X