• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Britain to cut Carbon emissions by 60%"

Collapse

• The Farmer
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    If they start walking here from India now, they'll be just in time for EDS to kick of the coding.

EDS

<chuckle>

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    If they start walking here from India now, they'll be just in time for EDS to kick of the coding.

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    How will they do that? Oooh a lovely government project, with a lovely government computer system! Yay!!!!
    Staffed by people flown in from India.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    My good men - why are you all worrying. This is the UK ffs!!

This *may* become law next year, then they *may* decide to start monitorring emissions.

How will they do that? Oooh a lovely government project, with a lovely government computer system! Yay!!!!

THAT'S how we will all pay for our cars/flights/electric.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Well, that's it for the electronic economy then - time to re-skill everybody. I always fancied the idea of becoming a carpenter anyway...

Leave a comment:

• Magnus
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Saw some programme last night about what you would need to do to cut your household carbon emissions by 60%.

No car
    No flying
    No (none, nada) electrical appliances of any sort whatsoever
    No household heating

And that just scraped 60%.
    What did they mean by household? They could mean what's called one's 'footprint', which includes CO2 emissions needed to support anything you buy, e.g. groceries trucked/shipped/flown in from whenever. If so, 60% might be a reasonable number if you don't personally stop buying out-of-season fruit that needs to be jetted in, and so on, and if no industries that you rely on for stuff do anything themselves to help.

The word 'household' is too vague, why would you count flying as household use, but not buying products which consumed energy in their production?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Like I said, the last time the UK had emissions that low, Queen Victoria wa so on the thrown, and the people had no car, no flying, no electrical appliances and no heating.

Enjoy.
    And Britain was top dog in the world. It's all a cunning plan to regain former glory.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Climate Change Bill...
    With this government's record, imagine what a crock of tulipe that will be!

In my crystal ball I see hundreds of thousands of Deemed Emission Inspectors, Home Energy Watch Police, Personal Travel Allowance Assessors .... etc etc

What's the betting all your journeys will have to go on your Personal Assesment Tax Form?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I have dislexick fingers

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Like I said, the last time the UK had emissions that low, Queen Victoria wa so on the thrown, and the people had no car, no flying, no electrical appliances and no heating.

Enjoy.
    Throne.

HTH
    Fleetwood

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Saw some programme last night about what you would need to do to cut your household carbon emissions by 60%.

No car
    No flying
    No household heating

Enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied

No car
    No flying
    No household heating

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    When your cost of living triples and your job goes East where there is no such tax on energy, we'll see if you feel the same way.

Britain produces 2% of the worlds C02. What a price to pay when India, USA, China and others watch the UK go 3rd world.

Leave a comment:

• s2budd
    replied
    "You can pay for it then."
    We all will. However the cost of doing something is less than doing nothing.

"Why not cut by 100%?"
    Because that is silly.

"Madness."
    No it's not.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    You can pay for it then.

Why not cut by 100%?

Madness.

Leave a comment:

Working...