• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sensible attitude to drug?"

Collapse

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Rantor
    Yay - and doubtless you'd pull the trigger yourself in best "some day a real rain will come...." stylee. Maybe get a wee doggy stiffy as well?
    I was hoping we'd get through today without mentioning animal erections, but alas...

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    A sensible attitude to drugs:-

Shoot the addicts.

Wipe them off the face of the planet.

Problem solved.
    Yay - and doubtless you'd pull the trigger yourself in best "some day a real rain will come...." stylee. Maybe get a wee doggy stiffy as well?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    A sensible attitude to drugs:-

Shoot the addicts.

Wipe them off the face of the planet.

Problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    You all seem to equate legalising with making freely available. It doesnt have to be like that.

I am not suggesting being able to buy a pint and a wrap or a packet of fags and a couple of rocks (though for some drugs that might be OK), I am suggesting making drugs available from official sources. I would put restrictions in place on who can get them. Shooting galaries where users can go to aquire and use drugs.

Due to the illegal nature of drugs it is not possible to supply addicts in an official way. Addicts are driven into the hands of criminals and we all see the consequences.

Leave a comment:

• Swiss Tony
    replied
    Grew up in Singapore where drugs = death!

Evening having it in your blood stream means jail terms.

Did stop the majority of users …. Eventually.

The only issue with legalising it that I can see is that there will be a need for more money spent on the ‘adverse’ effects that some/all drugs have. Money will come from sales but there will be a bloody great public out cry.

Plus how many deaths related to the legislation? Any Gvt that allows this will have it bite them in the ar*e with the initial fall out of people overdoing it because it is legal. Imagine lowering the drinking age to 16. How many kids would get themselves into a state and getting themselves killed?

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    Ok so we have established that illegal or legal, your not going to stop people excercising their free will, if they want to take drugs let them.

Keep it illegal and the drug industry is run by criminals, where does that money go??? crime, terrorism, etc...

Legalise it and there criminals will be out of the loop? as it will be run by the goverment....hmm...goverment

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied

I actually knocked the booze n' drugs on the head completely some eight years ago for some very sound reasons (it was killing me.) Since then, I have had occassion to bump into some of my old chums who continued to indulge in the powders and for the most part they are very flaky neurotic people who ain't getting much recreation out of their pharmaceuticals.
    Apparently you are wrong, there is no problem!

Sally et al, I don't have a 50s attitude to drugs, I have taken drugs, I have also seen people's lifes messed up (at least a douzen people I know) through thinking there are no side effects, pretty much like you do. It's called denial. They don't think they have a problem until things get out of control. At least one is now dead.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 8 March 2007, 13:51.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Absolutely, the booze was the prime offender but I was contrasting my (and others I gravitated towards) past usage with the cozier image you protrayed. Loads of perople indulge in all sorts recreationally but many do it to get caned and then some.

Like others here have said, lots of oeople do big booze n' drugs for years, slow down and stop with no real after-effects. There are however, lots of people who pay a far higher price over the longer term. The legality of drugs will not make any real difference one way or the other to those who find themselves in that categroy.

I hope you dont blame drugs for your spelling!!

I absolutely agree with you - people in that category wont benefit from the legality of drugs (apart from the fact that they'll be getting better drugs (not rat poison) and they'll be cheaper, and wont risk death/robbery from dangerous dealers etc).

But, you're right - it wont make them stop! Of course not. It doesn't make them stop drinking, so why would it with drugs.

My point is (was) coke and drink are very similar, and should be treated as such in by the law. And to go further I think coke is safer, and better. Obviously this is a general sweeping statement, but the most extreme real world argument against that so far has been yours...which to be fair, named drink as the bad boy too!

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Although I applaud your extreme loonism you've just admitted you took drugs to help you drink more.
    i.e. it was the drink that was the bad one, not the drugs.

Blaming drugs for that is like blaming food for allowing you to drink more.
    Absolutely, the booze was the prime offender but I was contrasting my (and others I gravitated towards) past usage with the cozier image you protrayed. Loads of perople indulge in all sorts recreationally but many do it to get caned and then some.

Like others here have said, lots of oeople do big booze n' drugs for years, slow down and stop with no real after-effects. There are however, lots of people who pay a far higher price over the longer term. The legality of drugs will not make any real difference one way or the other to those who find themselves in that categroy.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    I was out in Edinburgh on a stag do once, this guy who usually smokes a lot of pot kept telling me over and over how much coke he had taken, so I turned around and told him to shut up as it was getting boring, with that he burst into tears blubbing on about how crap his life was and drugs were his only escape, he failed to see the point that maybe the drugs were the problem.

Edinburgh was great mind!
    Tell a man full of drink that and he'd hit you.
    Tell a woman full of drink that, and she'd burst out crying and cry all night.

Edit: yeah Edinburgh is great

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I was out in Edinburgh on a stag do once, this guy who usually smokes a lot of pot kept telling me over and over how much coke he had taken, so I turned around and told him to shut up as it was getting boring, with that he burst into tears blubbing on about how crap his life was and drugs were his only escape, he failed to see the point that maybe the drugs were the problem.

Edinburgh was great mind!

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    SA. I am not anti-drug or alcohol but what you say seems quite foreign to me. When I took cocaine in the past I certainly did act like a tw*t and if you are ever around coked-up ejjits than you will see that it is a hugely ego-driven drug (god they are boring!)

For me however, my main point of divergence is with the drink - I would use coke to enable me to drink industrial quantities of booze without falling over or getting nicked.

I actually knocked the booze n' drugs on the head completely some eight years ago for some very sound reasons (it was killing me.) Since then, I have had occassion to bump into some of my old chums who continued to indulge in the powders and for the most part they are very flaky neurotic people who ain't getting much recreation out of their pharmaceuticals.

And as for rock cocaine......

Although I applaud your extreme loonism you've just admitted you took drugs to help you drink more.
    i.e. it was the drink that was the bad one, not the drugs.

Blaming drugs for that is like blaming food for allowing you to drink more.

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    Simply because we already have problems with alcohol is hardy an argument for creating more problems.
    the problems are already there its just that the drugs arent legal THIS IS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE ARGUMENT. keeping them illegal isnt going to solve the issue.

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    And all I see - are little dots ...

Drugs - will not change you
    Science - will not change you
    Religion - will not change you
    Politics - will not change you

Everything seems to be up in the air at this point ...

This is a crime - against the state
    This is the meaning of life

I need something to change your mind
    righto!!

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    And all I see - are little dots ...

Drugs - will not change you
    Science - will not change you
    Religion - will not change you
    Politics - will not change you

Everything seems to be up in the air at this point ...

This is a crime - against the state
    This is the meaning of life

I need something to change your mind

Leave a comment:

Working...
X