• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: What to read?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What to read?"

Collapse

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope
    I'm feeling decidedly un-intellectual at this point. Most of my reading at the moment consists of Thomas the Tank Engine, Bob the Builder, etc.
    nope - that is required reading for this playground.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    I'm feeling decidedly un-intellectual at this point. Most of my reading at the moment consists of Thomas the Tank Engine, Bob the Builder, etc.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Delillo

White Noise is better, but I know what you mean.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    Tch, that is one book where the editor should have done quite a bit more work.
    Cutting anything out would make it a different book.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Underworld - Don DeLillo

Probably the best American novel of the 20th Century.
    Tch, that is one book where the editor should have done quite a bit more work.

Leave a comment:

• HankWangford
    replied
    Lucy - Book of the year

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Underworld - Don DeLillo

Probably the best American novel of the 20th Century.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect
    Prof - make sure you don't mention that the last person is the little girl he killed in Nam... wouldn't want to ruin it for them
    Nasty man.

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Originally posted by Burdock
    Totally agree Hattra! Have you read the whole set?
    Three times

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by The Professor
    Try "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom - cracking little book. It's food for the soul.
    Prof - make sure you don't mention that the last person is the little girl he killed in Nam... wouldn't want to ruin it for them

Leave a comment:

• The Professor
    replied
    Good read

Try "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom - cracking little book. It's food for the soul.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    Finished that last week.
    Enjoyed it but got a bit fed up with constant references to black eirag and salty tea.

Now reading "The Book Thief"

Fave book "When the Star Kings Die"

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by where did my id go?
    But treat it like the electoral propaganda it is.

Indeed, that is one of the more interesting things, not the dates of battles etc, but the political purpose and struggle between the main players.

Two thousand years ago, the human condition was very similar to the present day.

Leave a comment:

• where did my id go?
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon
    Caesar - The Civil War
    and
    The Gallic Wars
    But treat it like the electoral propaganda it is.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    You all should read my book entitled

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

Also recommended are

Ceasar - The Civil War and The The conqueut of Gaul.
    Livy - The war with Hannibal
    Herodotus - The Histories.

For Fiction

Homer

Leave a comment:

Working...
X