• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mentioning rate in interview"

Collapse

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Jawz .

Leave a comment:

• kirk
    replied
    I know that some government agencies have an agreed markup with their EB's as well.

Leave a comment:

• Jawz .
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Black
    Have had that here as well on a few interviews, via a Belgian recruitment company, someone from the agency came along, chauffeured me to the client etc.

Sometimes felt more like an office meeting than an interview.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Have had that here as well on a few interviews, via a Belgian recruitment company, someone from the agency came along, chauffeured me to the client etc.

Sometimes felt more like an office meeting than an interview.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    In Germany, quite often someone from the agency will accompany you to the interview and sit in as well. I did one some years back and they started talking about money after I had done the techie bit and so I knew exactly the markup! She was well fit though but I didn't get the gig luckily....

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    All down to personal choice isn't it? I personally never discuss rate with the end client. I've been asked a couple of times but always pointed them in the direction of the pimp. Never been an issue.

However, if a client said to me 'it's us who are paying you' then that would ring the alarm bells as they obviously don't understand the relationship...

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Originally posted by mcquiggd
    Had an interesting experience during the latest (admittedly a permie interview)... the agent was left completely out of the loop, and I discussed salaries, bonus payments etc directly with the HR person...

And, I only supplied references to the company, none at all to the agent...

Most unusual...

Not that unusual for a permie role. In these cases the agency normally takes a fee based on a percentage of your salary, for the first X months. They only need to work with the client to confirm what you've been brought in on.

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    I know some of the big banks, in particular, dictate the agencies' markups, so they're just checking that the agency is sticking to the contract

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Had an interesting experience during the latest (admittedly a permie interview)... the agent was left completely out of the loop, and I discussed salaries, bonus payments etc directly with the HR person...

And, I only supplied references to the company, none at all to the agent...

Most unusual...

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by dotnetter
    I know this is a no no and I know everyone is against (I am too)

BUT...
    No spanking necessary. Something of a grey area, depends on the motives of those involved and that's what you have to figure out, just like when an agent asks the same question.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    I was asked a couple of years ago at an interview, and the interviewer told me that the agent was stitching me up. Not by a lot, but enough to p1ss off the interviewer. I still got the job though (TonyE, you know where).

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    I always discuss my rates with client to get an idea if the pimp is not stitching me up .

Leave a comment:

• dotnetter
    started a topic Mentioning rate in interview

Mentioning rate in interview

I know this is a no no and I know everyone is against (I am too)

BUT

One interview I went for, they asked me my rate, I said I would discuss that with the agent blah blah but they persisted and basically said, 'well its us paying you'. So I told them, I didnt get the job as they said they was looking for someone with a 'little more experience' in a certain area that they really needed. To be fair I did feel a bit out of my league anyway and felt a bit stitched up by the agent, so I probably dropped him in it with the client by disclosing my rate.

Working...
X