• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: MSC to Limiteds

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "MSC to Limiteds"

Collapse

• cityboy
    replied
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by cityboy
    Can you still claim vat back on purchases?
    You get a 1% discount on the rate in year 1, so in IT, the rate is normally 13%, but reduced to 12% in the first year.

No VAT is reclaimed but you can on any assets purchased in excess of £2000 - this has to be a single asset, so in most cases the VAT on a PC etc will not be reclaimed as few will cost in excess of £2K.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Only got contract until middle of may and no chance of renewal.
    Going from MSC to brollie for last 2 months, opening a ltd is easy but closing was a right pain last time. Will go LTD when/if new contract turns up but can't rule out (light touchpaper and retreat) going perm after this one...

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    stops at 13%

Claim back VAT on purchases over £2k from memory

Leave a comment:

• cityboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Nixon Williams
    We provide the set up & company formation for free, insurance cover can be sorted for about £2/300.

VAT is still charged at 17.5% but in year 1, only 12% of the gross invoices is paid over assuming you are in IT. The savings made here will more than pay for insurance cover and accountancy fees.

Alan

Can you still claim vat back on purchases?

Leave a comment:

• jh0711
    replied
    and year 3? is it a sliding scale or is there a limited to this benefit?

Leave a comment:

• Back In Business
    replied
    Originally posted by jh0711
    what about in year 2?
    13%

Leave a comment:

• jh0711
    replied
    VAT is still charged at 17.5% but in year 1, only 12% of the gross invoices is paid over assuming you are in IT
    what about in year 2?

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    it is a good point Alan I believe there are VAT benefits (to do with flat rate vat - no idea of how it works)
    however what about
    Insurances (employers, public liability and PI)
    initial cost of company formation
    etc etc etc

these are all costs people would need to find money for up front when they move from MSC to LTD
    We provide the set up & company formation for free, insurance cover can be sorted for about £2/300.

VAT is still charged at 17.5% but in year 1, only 12% of the gross invoices is paid over assuming you are in IT. The savings made here will more than pay for insurance cover and accountancy fees.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    the point I was trying to make is that if you are on £15 per hour and you ask to go PAYE with the agency they may say yes but the rate you will be on will be £13 per hour

sorry for confusion
    No problem.

What you say above is correct. Just worth pointing out to those that are unaware that this is because the agency is now paying the employer's NI, not the contractor and that the take home is effectively the same.

Leave a comment:

• jh0711
    replied
    hey bob I was just making the other poster aware that the rate will drop - you will no longer be on the same rate - yes as you say there will be no difference between take home pay (well there will be maybe a slight difference due to that other conversation)

the point I was trying to make is that if you are on £15 per hour and you ask to go PAYE with the agency they may say yes but the rate you will be on will be £13 per hour

sorry for confusion

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    do either dp or modis try to disencourage (???) you from going PAYE?
    DP Connect don't seem to. I'm not PAYE but in their "welcome pack" it's listed quite prominently as a payment option.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    if inside IR35 and not claiming expense it may be the way to go - however be aware your rate will drop if you go PAYE direct with agency as they will start to incur the employer costs (holiday pay, employers NI etc) they may also charge a small fee for PI insurance.
    No it won't. I said this in another post replying to you. Yes your rate on paper will look lower, but your take home will be exactly the same.

Leave a comment:

• jh0711
    replied
    do either dp or modis try to disencourage (???) you from going PAYE?

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    Surely a good agent can do PAYE? mine (Modis) has the option if I like.
    DP Connect do PAYE as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X