• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are all agents t***ts"

Collapse

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Bright Spark
    To get good contracts you need a track record of completing successful
    gigs in the particular area, it shows you can deliver the goods when required in the short period of time. also if you've done a similar contract you might already have a pre-built solution which just needs some customisations, this is the best way to sell yourself to the client as they know there not taking unecessary risks, also ensures that they pay you well.

HTH
    Maybe you do. But there's no need for these skills to have been gained in a contract. A successful permi career progression is equally valid.

tim

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    He's right, often the company is sick of trying to find someone who can fit in and has the right skills, getting budgets, talking to agents, getting CV's, interviewing - it's all a pain in the arse. They are not going to say no over 50 notes a day and start from scratch unless they have 2-3 people they like just as much.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    The hardest time of all is moving from permie to contractor, this is when you might have to take a lesser rate to get into the game.

Leave a comment:

• HankWangford
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg
    In my younger and more naieve days, went in to an agency to meet a permie and a contract agent. They both told me I had zero chance of getting a contract and should go perm. I was unsure of my ability at that stage and readily accepted the advice. 4 days later I got a contract and stayed in various contracts continuously working with only weekends in between them for 10.5 years.
    It's easy to be manipulated when you are starting out, like car salesmen and estate agents, agents play this game every day. You have to get past the agent first, play the game, get the job in the bag then negotiate hard by finding out the market rate and digging your heels in. I even got stitched up on my current contract by the agent because I was in a weak position.
    HTH

Yup I agree, you have just got to be hard nosed and confident in your skillset, when an agent asks what rate you want add 10% onto your requirements, then when they ask about flexibility you can come down 10% and get what you wanted. They will try it on with anybody, no experience or 10 years experience. They will spin bullsh*t about the market being flooded with contractors so the rates have come down, they will spin that they have already put other candidates in for £x lower, dont back down they are just trying to claw back anything they can. If the client wants you and they are worth working for they wont worry about the extra x per day compared to billy hack who will do the gig fora fiver

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    In my younger and more naieve days, went in to an agency to meet a permie and a contract agent. They both told me I had zero chance of getting a contract and should go perm. I was unsure of my ability at that stage and readily accepted the advice. 4 days later I got a contract and stayed in various contracts continuously working with only weekends in between them for 10.5 years.
    It's easy to be manipulated when you are starting out, like car salesmen and estate agents, agents play this game every day. You have to get past the agent first, play the game, get the job in the bag then negotiate hard by finding out the market rate and digging your heels in. I even got stitched up on my current contract by the agent because I was in a weak position.
    HTH

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by HankWangford
    i've seen that gig roll for around three years now, working for a large telco - BT inside Liverpool city council. They think they can get experienced c#, biztalk, sharepoint guys for upto £250 pd.
    Joke
    Sounds like a job for Bob Shawadiwadi!

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    remember rates always reflect what kind of person there looking for
    based on todays rates I make the following assumption:

£250 p/d, C# = Wizard Driven, Spaghetti code, Copy and Paste Devleloper

£400 p/d, C# = Design Patterns, Enterprise Library, Test Driven, Standards based developer, .

you always get what you pay for .

Leave a comment:

• HankWangford
    replied
    Originally posted by Bright Spark
    gigs in the particular area, it shows you can deliver the goods when required in the short period of time. also if you've done a similar contract you might already have a pre-built solution which just needs some customisations, this is the best way to sell yourself to the client as they know there not taking unecessary risks, also ensures that they pay you well.

HTH
    i've seen that gig roll for around three years now, working for a large telco - BT inside Liverpool city council. They think they can get experienced c#, biztalk, sharepoint guys for upto £250 pd.
    Joke

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    Originally posted by QuietAlien
    Hello everyone

I am a permie getting back into contracting, (why oh why did I ever go into a permie job) so got a call from an agent offering me this gig, job sounded ok and would of gone for it but when I told her what I wanted as a daily rate, was told there is no way I will get what I am asking for on a my first contract?!? And really tried to undersell me was a bit miffed by this and told them so (get the feelin I won’t be getting a call from them again lol)

Has this happened to any of you or am I a first (doubt it lol)

HTH

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Especially because Liverpool isn't the capital of Culture for another 10 months anyway. Right now it's Luxembourg and Sibiu in Romania, since you ask.

Interest rates and FTSE 100 have both gone up and up and up for 3 years now. All the permies are going contracting and you can get a wagyu and truffle burger in Clerkenwell. Sell oil and Microsoft, buy gold and Matalan. See you in '11.

tl

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    the rate offered was 200 pd, skillset senior test analyst and in the city of culture (Liverpool)
    200pd is a good rate just as much as Liverpool is the city of culture.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    the rate offered was 200 pd, skillset senior test analyst and in the city of culture (Liverpool)
    Yes its a bit low.

Leave a comment:

• QuietAlien
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl
    What was the rate? What skillset and location?

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Hello everyone

I am a permie getting back into contracting, (why oh why did I ever go into a permie job) so got a call from an agent offering me this gig, job sounded ok and would of gone for it but when I told her what I wanted as a daily rate, was told there is no way I will get what I am asking for on a my first contract?!? And really tried to undersell me was a bit miffed by this and told them so (get the feelin I won’t be getting a call from them again lol)

Has this happened to any of you or am I a first (doubt it lol)
    What was the rate? What skillset and location?

Leave a comment:

• QuietAlien
    replied
    you an agent?!?!?!

you sound just like an agent did you even look at my CV......... didnt think so...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X