• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Overpaid women.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Overpaid women."

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist
    If its a problem I know someone who might be able to help

So do I and it comes in the post and takes batteries... then I can justifiably be accused of only doing half a job

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy
    I think the real reason is that companies are not inclined to place too much power and influence in the hands of someone who in all likelihood might simply drift off rather expensively (in terms of maternity pay) when their body clock goes Brrrriinnngggg!!
    That and of course a certain amount of male chauvinism in the workplace obviously.
    I get the first bit Shaun, however the higher powered women tend to be well passed their child bearing years and if they got that high earlier then they are ambitious enough to pup and keep working.

The chauvanism is the bit that makes no sense to me. Business tends to be driven by one thing. Profit.
    Imagine you are in charge of a stock broking firm and you see the best seller on the floor is female. Do you leave her working for the opposition and therefore undermining your own companies profit or do you go and make her an offer she can't refuse?
    The best of any field should be earning the most, it just makes good business sense to have them doing so.

As I said, it makes no sense to me.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    My wife's bodyclock is doing that at the moment... I feel like a piece of meat with only one purpose... what happened to luuvvin!
    If its a problem I know someone who might be able to help

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy
    I think the real reason is that companies are not inclined to place too much power and influence in the hands of someone who in all likelihood might simply drift off rather expensively (in terms of maternity pay) when their body clock goes Brrrriinnngggg!!
    That and of course a certain amount of male chauvinism in the workplace obviously.
    My wife's bodyclock is doing that at the moment... I feel like a piece of meat with only one purpose... what happened to luuvvin!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    the women are just not selling themselves properly.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    The opposite is often said for women in business.
    You see I don't understand why this happens.
    I fully support women being paid the right salary in business, but I don't understand why business seems to pay them less.
    If there is a woman CEO out ther bringing in millions to a business but is getting paid less than a male CEO who brings in less business for the competiton who are then making less, it would make sense for the competition to head hunt her and pay her more.
    It makes no sense in business to allow your best resource to be enticed away on financial terms.
    There is something wrong in the business case here, or the women are just not selling themselves properly.

Works all the way down the ladder, I just used CEO as it was quick to type.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I still think it is a bit unfair on the lower ranked blokes.

They are never going to earn what the top women will in any given sport even though they could beat them any day of the week.
    The opposite is often said for women in business.

Maybe there is scope for an open championship at some sports. Some women would finish in the top 10, and would win at some sports.
    Stop it now, you know dam well that a man would always win ...all be it a hollow victory! (oops did i just say that )

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I still think it is a bit unfair on the lower ranked blokes.

They are never going to earn what the top women will in any given sport even though they could beat them any day of the week.

Maybe there is scope for an open championship at some sports. Some women would finish in the top 10, and would win at some sports.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Ok I see some of your points but put it this way, despite being played on the same courts as the same time at the same venue there are essentially two different competitions going on, so why can’t the people who run the game just set the prize money at whatever level they like? ...More if they want! Take away the equality issue and the problem goes away. [TLG emphasis]

I'm just saying why can't they have the same level of prize money if they want why does it always have to be less?
    I knew we would get there in the end.

It is the equality thing that pisses me off.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Ok I see some of your points but put it this way, despite being played on the same courts as the same time at the same venue there are essentially two different competitions going on, so why can’t the people who run the game just set the prize money at whatever level they like? ...More if they want! Take away the equality issue and the problem goes away.

I'm just saying why can't they have the same level of prize money if they want why does it always have to be less?

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Just to clarify.

Does the bold bit help? Babble.
    Yes it did, thank you

My humble apologies

Leave a comment:

• John Galt
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Did you? I just thought you were babbling on about how women shouldn't be paid the same. And then babbled some more on how we're supposed to say dinner ladies are the same as bin men etc.

Did I mention babble?
    Do you ever have anything constructive to add to a discussion? Typical woman - proved wrong and resort to insults! Women are not equal to men in a number of areas and it is no good trying to pretend they are. Saying that, in some areas they excel. I don't know what this obsession is with equality - people are not, never have been and never will be equal.

Leave a comment:

• wonderwaif
    replied
    I think I just said that.
    I think you are well aware of the inability of some on this board to grasp subtle distinctions LG.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Bright Spark
    I must admit the thought of kournikova in the 'buff' does sound appealing though.

http://www.kournikova.com/photos/slides/pic19.jpg
    If there is an after-life, I want to come back as kournikova's second serve tennis ball...

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Did you? I just thought you were babbling on about how women shouldn't be paid the same. And then babbled some more on how we're supposed to say dinner ladies are the same as bin men etc.

Did I mention babble?
    Just to clarify.

No mate. What I am saying is we stop with this "women are equal" tulip and accept that there are differences in the sexes.

Celebrate those differences instead of chasing this ridiculous equality ideal. These women are asking to be treated as equals when clearly they are not.
    Neither are dinner ladies doing an equal job to bin men, but to be PC we have to say they are.?
    I will now propose a reason why women should be paid as much as the men at Wimbledon that you could have used instead of bleeting on about equality and tulip.
    Money.
    The womens games are as popular as the mens. They generate an equal amount of revenue for the tournament and should therefore be given an equal share. However I would guess that were it a men only comp people would still pay the same. There would still be a market for the womens game.
    Does the bold bit help? Babble.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X