• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Luxembourg

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Luxembourg"

Collapse

• padinka
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Racist.
    Nope, it's cultural. It doesn't matter what race they are.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by padinka
    I worked there for a while (at the EEC HQ) and had a good time. It takes a while to dig out the best pubs etc and you'll need to spend time finding the places that aren't full of whining poms & expats.

Another good thing is (was?) that the European institutions have rather more women working for them than men. Even an IT jockey can get laid...

Padinka
    Racist.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    That's funny, because that's exactly the pull-up-the drawbridge relativism that gets my goat. Americans think that all European countries are tiny principalities that can't really be serious. Brits French and Germans think that others are below the "normal" size. I suppose that Holland scoffs at Belgium and Belgium at Luxembourg.

I suppose my thing is that I don't see anything strange about, say, Holland. I don't see it as small, actually I see it as a decent-sized place that has got its act together.

With a population about 16 million or so, an economy of about 400 billion dollars, trade with most of the world, a long history of freedom and democracy, and a distinctive culture that many find attractive, it seems to me to be an interesting country and people, important in itself, and a long way from being some sort of small ruritanian backwater.

Sorry for the lack of SOH here, but that's just the problem: I've never found it funny when people make somewhat ignorant fun of something that's not funny.
    Oh Dear!

Leave a comment:

• padinka
    replied
    It's not as bad as people make out.

I worked there for a while (at the EEC HQ) and had a good time. It takes a while to dig out the best pubs etc and you'll need to spend time finding the places that aren't full of whining poms & expats.

Another good thing is (was?) that the European institutions have rather more women working for them than men. Even an IT jockey can get laid...

Padinka

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    The standing joke about Holland is that a lot of dutchmen will say "Well, at least we're bigger than Belgium!".
    That's funny, because that's exactly the pull-up-the drawbridge relativism that gets my goat. Americans think that all European countries are tiny principalities that can't really be serious. Brits French and Germans think that others are below the "normal" size. I suppose that Holland scoffs at Belgium and Belgium at Luxembourg.

I suppose my thing is that I don't see anything strange about, say, Holland. I don't see it as small, actually I see it as a decent-sized place that has got its act together.

With a population about 16 million or so, an economy of about 400 billion dollars, trade with most of the world, a long history of freedom and democracy, and a distinctive culture that many find attractive, it seems to me to be an interesting country and people, important in itself, and a long way from being some sort of small ruritanian backwater.

Sorry for the lack of SOH here, but that's just the problem: I've never found it funny when people make somewhat ignorant fun of something that's not funny.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Luxembourg does not actually exist. It is a made up place used by MEP's to inflate their travel expenses.

HTH
    I thought that was Strasbourg?

"Strasbourg is the home of, among other things, the Council of Europe, the European Court of Human Rights, the European Court of Justice, the European Ombudsman, the Eurocorps, Europol, the European Commission, and, most famously, the European Parliament, though the latter sometimes holds sessions in Brussels"

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I did some work out there last year (Couple of week long stints so hardly conclusive), seemed fairly dull to me, especially on the weekends when most people pissed off back home. However the local expat guys with families loved it and you've got plenty of countries around all within easy driving distance ...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Indeed, primarily because I rather like Holland, and would rather be there than in some countries that are bigger than it.
    The standing joke about Holland is that a lot of dutchmen will say "Well, at least we're bigger than Belgium!".

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Sorry, just my little joke. It obviously struck a chord though.
    Indeed, primarily because I rather like Holland, and would rather be there than in some countries that are bigger than it.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Because it's even smaller than Holland?

Sorry, just my little joke. It obviously struck a chord though.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by freakydancer
    Erm, it's tulip?
    Because it's even smaller than Holland?

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    And your point is....?
    Erm, it's tulip?

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    It's even smaller than Holland FFS!
    And your point is....?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Work there but rent an apartment in Trier (Germany) as its cheaper and just travel to work each day. Fags are cheap there as well but watch it coming over the border with loads of dosh cos the German police will take it off you.

Leave a comment:

• ZZZZ Snoozer
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordon Gecko
    Anyody worked in Luxembourg?
    Having trawled previous posts on the site, the consensusis that it is a bit dull but not hugely so......
    Any views? Thanks!
    Luxembourg - Null Points

Leave a comment:

Working...
X