• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which Digital Camera"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    The Canon EOS 300D takes pretty good pics, but is a bit heavy (and expensive).

Someone told me Canon were bringing out a 19 Megapixel camera at the end of the year. Anyone else heard anything?

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Ok my friend who lives in China just mailed me - she said the I can get sony T100 camer for about 2800 - 3000 RMB (between £190 to £200) so will check out the duty free when travelling, if the price is much the same then I'll get it from there.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy
    Sounds good. The main thing tat I miss about 35mm is the depth of field at wide aperture. I dislike pics that have everything in focus.

A compromise would be to take a cheap old 35mm SLR plus small digital. You can then get the negatives scanned to CD.

Also I suggest you do a search for 360 degree pictures. Software will knit digital pictures together, theses are fantastic for scenery.

http://www.z360.com/full/
    Cool !!! Very cool !!!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by GeorgeGregan
    If you don't want to go all the way for a digital SLR I bought myself a Panasonic LX1 recently and am very happy with it. It's a compact camera with most SLR features (ability to set exposure manually, change metering modes etc). I think it is the only camera of any type that shoots natively in 16:9 format.
    Sounds good. The main thing tat I miss about 35mm is the depth of field at wide aperture. I dislike pics that have everything in focus.

A compromise would be to take a cheap old 35mm SLR plus small digital. You can then get the negatives scanned to CD.

Also I suggest you do a search for 360 degree pictures. Software will knit digital pictures together, theses are fantastic for scenery.

http://www.z360.com/full/

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown
    thanks - just saw the Nikon coolpix 5000 at Jessops, they want £299 for it its not really flat but still compact. I wonder if I can get a better deal in China- however many people told me there are so many fakes there even in expensive shops and I may get conned
    Yes I've heard about lots of Fakes in China, my GF lived in Singapore for 4 years, she says you have to be very very carful and know where to shop, I wanted to get a nice watch, so she said we'd go back to Singapore and get one there as she knows where to go....

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    Hi Sandy, yes I did, I got a Nikon D80 with 35-70 & 70-300 lense's, 3 1Gb memory cards, 2 batteries, two filters and some other bits and bobs, it all came to about £1500. But its not compact!!! Went to Africa the other day with it, which was fine, but when walking around it is nice to have a small compact camera to just slip into your pocket.

I used to have a Nikon CoolPix, well I still have it, very good camera, 4 or 5 optical zoom, its got a 1Gb Microdrive in it, and its about 4Mpix - I liked it, again not compact also you can't change the lenses on it.

HTH
    thanks - just saw the Nikon coolpix 5000 at Jessops, they want £299 for it its not really flat but still compact. I wonder if I can get a better deal in China- however many people told me there are so many fakes there even in expensive shops and I may get conned

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown
    n5gooner did you buy a digital camera then?? am looking for a compact digital camera was told Sony's T Series Cyber-shot DSCT100 or Nikon CoolPix 5000 are the best - what do you people think ? also is it better to buy from duty free or from the far-east?

Hi Sandy, yes I did, I got a Nikon D80 with 35-70 & 70-300 lense's, 3 1Gb memory cards, 2 batteries, two filters and some other bits and bobs, it all came to about £1500. But its not compact!!! Went to Africa the other day with it, which was fine, but when walking around it is nice to have a small compact camera to just slip into your pocket.

I used to have a Nikon CoolPix, well I still have it, very good camera, 4 or 5 optical zoom, its got a 1Gb Microdrive in it, and its about 4Mpix - I liked it, again not compact also you can't change the lenses on it.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    n5gooner did you buy a digital camera then?? am looking for a compact digital camera was told Sony's T Series Cyber-shot DSCT100 or Nikon CoolPix 5000 are the best - what do you people think ? also is it better to buy from duty free or from the far-east?

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    If you're going to 'Nam, the only thing you want to take that does point and click is this.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Well I got it last night,

The nikon D80 with a Nikon 18-70 lense
    Nikon 70-300 lense
    3 x 2Gb cards
    2 x filters
    Lense case
    Camera case
    spare Nikon battery
    for just over £1500, which is what I made in overtime last week I could have got it cheaper over the net but I wanted to a. buy from a shop where I can take it to if I have problems, and b. support my local community.

Just need to get used to it now.
    Well done! I hope you enjoy it.

Just take some time to actually PRINT some of the photos and hang 'em on your wall or whatever. Even if it's just a big cork-board in the bog!

I'm terrible - forever taking photos but don't print and mount as many as I should. No point in having a 10MP camera and great lenses if you're only going to look at them on an LCD screen.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    np - PM when you're around, I'll probably be in Richmond Saturday early evening - You can meet the missus before we go off to watch Hot Fuzz.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack
    1 - if it's vodka
    well sounds like a deal then!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    well, I may well take you up with that !!! What is your hourly pint rate ?
    1 - if it's vodka

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack
    Nice one - good wide-telephoto range there. Personally I wouldn't use an obvious camera case in the Far East - too nickable. Stick it in a scruffy rucksack instead.
    I can give you a lesson over a pint in Richmond/Twickenham if you like - standard rates apply
    well, I may well take you up with that !!! What is your hourly pint rate ?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Nice one - good wide-telephoto range there. Personally I wouldn't use an obvious camera case in the Far East - too nickable. Stick it in a scruffy rucksack instead.
    I can give you a lesson over a pint in Richmond/Twickenham if you like - standard rates apply

Leave a comment:

Working...
X