• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Whats this VMWare stuff all about?"

Collapse

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    What the hell is so special about this Virtual Machine stuff? Flash in the pan or going to take off?
    VMWare is on version 6. I was using it around 2001 to stop me having to have a gazillion PCs with different setups to test my stuff on. Do keep up old chap.

Leave a comment:

• Mortimer Trent
    replied
    Vmware Training

Hello

Does anyone know of supplier or download/CBT type Media for VMWare training UK Based please...
    Similar in style to "cbt nuggets" training CD/DVD

Oh, without me taking needing a small mortgage!

Bye the way cool forum!

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt
    Well VM has been around for over 30 years now and I use it quite often for running multiple zOS, VSE, TPF or zLinux guest systems. Its just the desktop crowd have now appropriated its concepts. Have a look at zVM 5.3 which has just been announced, you can run thousands of zLinux guests (I know someone who has run 20,000+ zLinux images under zVM.)
    There's also Xen for Linux - http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/ - which runs in the same way as the VMs do on zOS, i.e. at the OS level rather than in user space.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Well VM has been around for over 30 years now and I use it quite often for running multiple zOS, VSE, TPF or zLinux guest systems. Its just the desktop crowd have now appropriated its concepts. Have a look at zVM 5.3 which has just been announced, you can run thousands of zLinux guests (I know someone who has run 20,000+ zLinux images under zVM.)

Leave a comment:

• dotnetter
    replied
    I worked for the biggest car manufacturer in the world and they used clustered VM's for their production environment.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven
    Think of it like a Russian Doll, just with computers
    So can you run Windows on Linux on Windows on Linux etc.?
    I've only seen VMware used to run virtual machines side by side on the same physical machine.

Are you saying that VMware also runs one VM inside another, and if so how common is this?

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    I understand that VMWare are to float on the stock market in the next few months.
    buy buy buy then!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I understand that VMWare are to float on the stock market in the next few months.

Leave a comment:

• Back In Business
    replied
    MS Virtual Server is much better the Virtual PC but still nowhere near VMWare's offering.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Don't forget Microsoft Virtual PC.

It is now FREE. That's right free.
    Probably because out of the big three (VMWare, Parallels and Virtual PC) the MS offering is by far the worst performer. I wouldn't recommend it. This is because originally it WAS an emulation of x86 running on PowerPC. I suspect that some of that emulation is still buried in there.

It's also been crippled by MS from what it once was. Originally it was a Mac product and MS bought it, removed the ability for it to run on a Mac host along with a whole bunch of other features that were Mac specific, then released their bastardised version on to the world.

Basically MS saw the VM world running away without them so they bought the only product that would sell to them and then made it worse in typical MS fashion.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan
    I've seen clients using VMs to test software for legacy OSs (i.e. Win95, 2K, XP Home), but I'd argue whilst it's better than nothing, it's not a real test.
    It is 100% a real test. Nothing is emulated here, you are running the real OS on a real PC (yours). VMWare (or any of the others) just provides a layer in-between to allow the guest OS to boot in it's own process.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    So this VM stuff is around to stay then?

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan
    Yep thats the idea, Linux, Windows, Solaris, Open/Net/FreeBSD, DOS, Netscape, etc

Now that VM-Player is free (you can only 'play' VMs not create them) there is a growing community around VM Appliances . So images of OS's tuned to a specific purpose, so you can have one for a particular mailserver, or security appliance etc.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied

I've seen clients using VMs to test software for legacy OSs (i.e. Win95, 2K, XP Home), but I'd argue whilst it's better than nothing, it's not a real test.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Don't forget Microsoft Virtual PC.

It is now FREE. That's right free.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...loads/sp1.mspx

And for the server, Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2.Which is FREE as well. That's right free.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...e/default.mspx

Right Bill, where's my cut of the profits?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X