• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: baby boomers

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "baby boomers"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Characteristics of Baby Boomer workers

Values

Individual choice
    Community involvement
    Prosperity
    Ownership
    Self-actualizing
    Health and wellness
    Attributes

Adaptive
    Goal-oriented
    Focus on individual choices and freedom
    Adaptive to a diverse workplace
    Positive attitude
    Work styles

Confidence in tasks
    Emphasize team-building
    Seek collaborative, group decision making
    Avoid conflict

Just for a bit of balance. If Paxman and the rest of his Metropolitan Elite wish to feel guilty about their contribution to society then so be it.
    But he doesn't speak on MY behalf, nor for most of my peers.
    Sanctimonious twat!!

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Here's a rave from the boomer grave for the mauve monkey.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-history.html

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Here's a rave from the boomer grave for the mauve monkey.
    Can you get another hobby?

Gardening is more healthy than dragging up old threads.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    What? People going around blowing up babies?

It's disgusting

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy
    I thought baby boomers were until 1957
    1964 - after that you are generation x I believe until sometime in the eighties;

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    50s

Could be right at the end of the baby boom...
    I thought baby boomers were until 1957

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy
    So you were born in the 1960s ?
    Hatched, he's a lizard.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Nope.

10 years too late.

Close though.
    So you were born in the 1960s ?

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    We didn't need plumbers when we shat out of our windows onto the street. Now - notwithstanding those who are good at DIY - we can't do without them. Plumbers that is. It's one of the biggest industries in the world.
    Exactly and what good has it done us! I for one am sick of this nanny state interfering with my defecatory habits and would welcome a return to arse-oot-the-windae sanitary solutions.

THe prospect has really cheered me up this afternoon - must be years since I laid a log from an upper storey!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by WKnight
    What will this mean to IT contractors? A generation that understands computers will take-over instead of one that preferred quill pens and paper. Things can only get better? Right?
    Wrong.

Quill pens were Shakespeare's medium, and they worked for him.

We preferred pencils and coding sheets. With these tools, our generation made the programs that made possible a Moon landing, computerised banking, and Air Traffic Control. Some of them are still in use.

Things can get worse than that. They have.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by WKnight
    The last generation that was not brought up with a mobile stuck to their heads, and with no idea about computers except that which an old-dog can grasp, is slowly releasing the reigns of power and leaving the show to the rest of us.
    Reins.

Expat, in Am I the Only One Left of the Generation That Could Spell? mode.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Are you a baby boomer Walter ?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    We didn't need plumbers when we shat out of our windows onto the street. Now - notwithstanding those who are good at DIY - we can't do without them. Plumbers that is. It's one of the biggest industries in the world.

Same thing for electricity - we didn't need a sparks when we used candles for light and a fireplace for warmth.

And telecomms - we didn't need BT engineers when we lit fecking great bonfires on top of hills.

So where am I going with this? Fuck knows. Any ideas?
    We don't need teleport engineers because it hasn't been invented yet.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied

Same thing for electricity - we didn't need a sparks when we used candles for light and a fireplace for warmth.

And telecomms - we didn't need BT engineers when we lit fecking great bonfires on top of hills.

So where am I going with this? Fuck knows. Any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    There'll always be thick, lazy, incompetent civil servants, so we'll always be in demand.

No worries here

Leave a comment:

Working...
X