• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who on here has the biggest debt?"

Collapse

• ZeroDegrees1234
    replied
    88K mortgage

12 months into IVA

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy

If you want any help with the specifics please PM me. Good luck mate

Thanks Zippy. A fair chunk is one a low interest until balance paid off credit card. I did have 0% virgin, until I missed a payment over xmas. So transferred off and waiting for their next offer til I transfer back.

Leave a comment:

• Jawz
    replied
    One house paid off and owe £50'000 on my second house. But they are in Oz, so I guess thats cheating..

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by andy
    No mortgage, still renting
    £50k cash in the bank
    waiting for the next houseprice crash just like atw

Buy a house in Scotty land we've not seen a house crash in the last 90 years, onwards and upwards softly and gently, crash & boom can only bring doom...

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I would have retired by now but women have kept me poor....

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    Go IVA / bankrupt. Easy these days.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by foritisme
    Well technically yes..................just wish I could get rid of the 45K. Have thought about adding it to the mortgage but wanted to try the save up and pay in off in a cpl of years route. Everytime I get a bit of money together to pay a chunk off something happens that just seems to eat into it.
    I don't agree with OracleSmith (a rare occasion!) that you should add the debt to your mortgage. At the moment - I'm assuming! - this debt is unsecured so please don't secure it against your house unless you really, really have to. You also say that you are trying to save up and pay it off so you don't really want to commit for 15/20 years payments??

What I'd recommend you do (and I've done this - allbeit with a smaller sum) is transfer as much as possible onto low interest credit cards e.g. the M&S More 3.6% life-of-balance deal, Virgin 0% for 12 months deal, 0% GE Money card. I transferred off other cards then closed them but have kept one empty for life-or-death situations or groceries or future cheap balance transfer deals .

There are a few money saving/value websites out there so have a look around for some deals before you bet the farm.

If you want any help with the specifics please PM me. Good luck mate

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny
    lots of savings which I plan to invest in fairly aggressive high risk shares which will yield big divis, provided all goes well.
    Ah, so no big debts yet?

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    I'm asset rich, cash poor! I have two small properties worth £350,000 each both mortgaged to thier maximum. I'm about to plunge money into my huisbands resturant but its ok I have £700,000 in assets to fall back on. My IFA is great!

Sayara Beg
    I was about to take the p155 out of you sockpuppet but then i noticed the sarcasm in the last line and it made sense then.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    No mortgage, still renting
    £50k cash in the bank
    waiting for the next houseprice crash just like atw

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I'm asset rich, cash poor! I have two small properties worth £350,000 each both mortgaged to thier maximum. I'm about to plunge money into my huisbands resturant but its ok I have £700,000 in assets to fall back on. My IFA is great!

Sayara Beg

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    350k mortgage plus 17k credit card debt plus 10k personal loan. The house is worth around 500k. The wife and I make about 110k p.a. between us

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    House bought for 345,000 in early 2000 (120k mortgage) spent about 50k on it since and now valued at £800k

Cleared all other debts, but still got the 120k mortgage. That'll be the next challenge.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Currently in Blighty is best mode. With all this global warming Costa Del Lancashire will be the place to be come my retirement !

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Debt

I have about £300 left on my credit card.

I have a 135k mortgage (Was 128k but the wife had app 7.5k debt which I bombed on the mortgage). Flat is worth about 175k.

Wife (For richer or for poorer so they say) has about 1k debt outstanding.

On the downside, I got married last year so I have no savings (About 2.5k) and about (1.5k) invested in shares which are seriously underperforming.

So theoretically I am in the black but FFS it would be nice to have some more chedder in the bank.

Onwards and upwards

Leave a comment:

Working...
X