• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Any Perl gurus around?"

Collapse

• Diestl
    replied
    Does it have to be perl?, Ruby is much nicer and more pleasing to use.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    1 liner.

HTH
    Let's see it then

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    It is cheap, Threaded only charges £1000/hr, so one liner should only cost about £100.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    1 liner.

HTH
    Quote?

Should be cheap as a one liner unless yer a comedian?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead
    Mine's is non-existent but...

Need to create a script which;

1. Takes web form information and saves form.txt to a temp directory on the Linux server. The temp dir has to be unique - /temp/5367657653123/form.txt

2. Run a command like - runme a.out text.out out.bin

3. The created out.bin needs then to be made available for download by the user from a webpage or emailed to him.

Sounds simple but I haven't got a clue where to start with this. Any help appreciated.
    1 liner.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    Cliphead! You said you had 10 years experience on Perl projects when I hired you!

I think mod perl might be a bit of a leap given his current level of knowledge so yes CGI sucks but it will get the job done albeit inefficiently.

Its probably a $20 dollar job on rentacoder....

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    Well, no.

Time spent solving computer problems should be paying time for me.

If you're such a l33t linux hax0r then I'd thought you'd have groked PERL already and probably rolled some CPAN stuff. But what do I know?

Like all those who claim superiority by simply USING Linux, you turn out to be a completely clueless feck.
    I didn't claim superiority at all as a Linux user, merely pointing out that there are alternative operating systems than can be run on a PC.

Yes, I get to install Perl modules and get it all working but I'm not a coder and never claimed to be. I also mentioned in a previous post, 'gimme a price.' I'd be happy to pay someone for doing this for me.

It seems strange that the mention of Linux get you all steamed up and firing off personal insults. Why is that? Why the vitriol? Banter on a forum I enjoy, making it personal is no fun. Where I come from if you want to insult someone you do it to their face and take your chances, not much chance of that then...

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp
    Sounds like you need to start with a CGI script.

use CGI;

To be honest the learning curve on Perl is quite steep -- to write decent Perl, that is.

Get hello_world.cgi perl script working on apache first (e.g. apache config, correct HTTP headers etc.)

Then learn to get the CGI variables from your form input.

Then do a bit of file I/O -- check all the file conditions. Perl doesn't have exceptions a la Java, so you have to check each statement:

# this may be wrong, haven't written perl in a while...
    open F ">/tmp/myfile.out" or die "Could not open file ... " . $!;

Then work out how to speak to your local mail server. May be easier to allow the file to be downloaded.

Suggest you get a book on Perl.

HTH
    Oh yup, use CGI. All your problems will then be solved!

Fecking priceless

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    "You're obviously another geek spaz who has nothing better to do that wank around with his umpteen decrepit 'boxen' while the rest of us have beer and women to think about."

All's square then
    Well, no.

Time spent solving computer problems should be paying time for me.

If you're such a l33t linux hax0r then I'd thought you'd have groked PERL already and probably rolled some CPAN stuff. But what do I know?

Like all those who claim superiority by simply USING Linux, you turn out to be a completely clueless feck.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    "You're obviously another geek spaz who has nothing better to do that wank around with his umpteen decrepit 'boxen' while the rest of us have beer and women to think about."

All's square then
    Nice retort.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp

use CGI;

To be honest the learning curve on Perl is quite steep -- to write decent Perl, that is.

Get hello_world.cgi perl script working on apache first (e.g. apache config, correct HTTP headers etc.)

Then do a bit of file I/O -- check all the file conditions. Perl doesn't have exceptions a la Java, so you have to check each statement:

Then work out how to speak to your local mail server. May be easier to allow the file to be downloaded.

HTH
    Thanks, it gets me started. Checking Amazon now for Perl books.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    No worries.

Dunno why I'm helping you anyway...

All's square then

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Thanks, I can easily create a form I think, I'll plug away with the rest.
    No worries.

Dunno why I'm helping you anyway...

A bogeyman of little brain methinks...

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied

use CGI;

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Ok.

So capture the vars in the form post handler, get a temp file name, write the file in the format above.

Because the web server can't initiate cryptest.exe, you'd need to have a daemon to check the temp dir for the form capture files and then:

1) kick off cryptest.exe with the right args

2) delete (or move) the capture file.
    Thanks, I can easily create a form I think, I'll plug away with the rest.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X