• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Stalingrad

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Stalingrad"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    PPS ATW Why is it a bad book? I thought it was alright.
    The book was written in a language typical for a soviet suck-up rather than objective writer: if you look at how Manstein wrote his work you will see that he very rarely, if at all, uses absolutes - lots of words: probably, likely etc: now that's objective approach even though he was in a very biased position, yet he wrote in a very good unbiased way showing that he really was a professional of the highest order.

Beevor's fall of Berlin has got same problems - compare it for example to Liddle Hart's (spell?) book on World War 2 - now that's excellent work that does not suck up to either side, only pity that it mainly focussed on Allied operations, I wish someone of his quality could have written work on Ost Front's operations, sadly even if he was alive this would not be possible because Soviet/Russian military historians primarily serve the interests of the State to show their side in the best light by falsifying history.
    Last edited by AtW; 7 February 2007, 13:57.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    [QUOTE=DS23]
    The city came before the book.

HTH
    QUOTE]

really? my goodness and there was me thinking it was a work of fiction.

TFYH
    TIC.
    HTH.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    [QUOTE=sasguru]The city came before the book.

HTH
    QUOTE]

really? my goodness and there was me thinking it was a work of fiction.

TFYH

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    So that's what he said
    I thought it was good too - nice page turner, kept my interest right till the end.
    Don't know about how accurate it is, didn't know much about it before hand so couldn't dispute anything written in the book

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23
    Actually, I know you will find it is also the title of a book
    The city came before the book.

HTH

PS God I'm bored.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    If its by Antony Beevor then its poor book.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Actually I think you'll find it's a city.
    Actually, I know you will find it is also the title of a book

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet
    Stalingrad = fantastic book
    Actually I think you'll find it's a city.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    When I woke up it was so cold as if it was Stalingrad - all garden grass is frosty

They should change the name to Putingrad

or something

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Stalingrad = fantastic book

Leave a comment:

• HankWangford
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    When I woke up it was so cold as if it was Stalingrad - all garden grass is frosty
    off to kaliningrad in a few weeeks, cant wait.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    started a topic Stalingrad

Stalingrad

Working...
X