• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: I hate Vista

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I hate Vista"

Collapse

• portseven
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    That is truly pathetic. No wonder Linux is in the wilderness and MS make a billion dollars per second.

You obviously think this is 1982.

HTH
    Ehh? How's that then? Linux has had flashy interfaces for some time, Vista has just arrived now and yet Linux is behind?!?!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    If you think of Vista as a shinier, buggier, bloatier, slower, less familiar version of XP, you'll not be far wrong.

Should you upgrade? Nope.

Should anyone upgrade? Only when they HAVE to and only if the OS is already bundled on a new PC at no extra cost.

Otherwise XP will do you for a few years yet.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    It's not that impressive, that's true, just a bunch of eye candy. However, apart from the DRM, all that Vista seems to add is a bunch of eye candy too. So what's your point?
    Indeed.

All the cool features we have heard about for the last n years have gradually been stripped out of Vista to make way for DRM and other crap nobody wants.

It's a huge dissapointment and I think it will hurt MS. I know people are stupid and will pay for ANYTHING that is new and shiny, but this is almost insulting, given what Vista COULD have been.

I held off upgrading to XP for as long as I possibly could, but I see no draw in Vista at all. What is the point of it exactly, apart from the said eye-candy.

I will continue to run XP for Windows development purposes, under Apple Bootcamp (have a dedicated Mac Mini for it), but Vista has lost me totally!

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    What do you expect it to have? Telepathic interface? Built in time machine? Herds of wilderbeast majestically going by?

I expect it to be different to XP in some way, to justify both the cost of the upgrade and/or the 5 years they've supposedly been developing new features.

Seems to me it's just a revenue generating exercise without offering anything new to the consumer and loads of people are falling for it.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    What do you expect it to have? Telepathic interface? Built in time machine? Herds of wilderbeast majestically going by?

That sounds rather cool, I'll have one of those please.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    That is truly pathetic.
    It's not that impressive, that's true, just a bunch of eye candy. However, apart from the DRM, all that Vista seems to add is a bunch of eye candy too. So what's your point?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    "Vista just needs a hug"

David Cameron.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    some vista legal stuff making waves...

In the name of shielding consumers from computer viruses and protecting copyright owners from potential infringement, Vista seemingly wrestles control of the "user experience" from the user.
    Vista's legal fine print includes extensive provisions granting Microsoft the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software and holds the prospect of deleting certain programs without the user's knowledge.
    Even after installation, the legal agreement grants Microsoft the right to revalidate the software or to require users to reactivate it should they make changes to their computer components. In addition, it sets significant limits on the ability to copy or transfer the software, prohibiting anything more than a single backup copy and setting strict limits on transferring the software to different devices or users.
    Vista also incorporates Windows Defender, an anti-virus program that actively scans computers for "spyware, adware, and other potentially unwanted software." The agreement does not define any of these terms, leaving it to Microsoft to determine what constitutes unwanted software. Once operational, the agreement warns that Windows Defender will, by default, automatically remove software rated "high" or "severe," even though that may result in other software ceasing to work or mistakenly result in the removal of software that is not unwanted.
    For greater certainty, the terms and conditions remove any doubt about who is in control by providing that "this agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights." For those users frustrated by the software's limitations, Microsoft cautions that "you may not work around any technical limitations in the software."

And that's not even started on DRM yet...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven
    One of the big draws of Vista seems to be the snazzy Aero interface

Maybe people should save themselves some money and have a go with Linux and AIGLX / Beryl (or XGL / Compiz ). Cheap and it doesn't need such a high spec hardware, as well as being free of all the DRM tulipe

Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CgqWlX_GsI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3H6F...elated&search=
    That is truly pathetic. No wonder Linux is in the wilderness and MS make a billion dollars per second.

You obviously think this is 1982.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper
    And proud of it!
    When the fad that is "WIMP" has died, only those with previous knowledge of vi, edlin, debug and "copy con:" will thrive!

Keep the faith!!!

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    One of the big draws of Vista seems to be the snazzy Aero interface

Maybe people should save themselves some money and have a go with Linux and AIGLX / Beryl (or XGL / Compiz ). Cheap and it doesn't need such a high spec hardware, as well as being free of all the DRM tulipe

Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CgqWlX_GsI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3H6F...elated&search=

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Geek!
    And proud of it!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper
    I have a love of the Unix/Linux command line.
    Geek!

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    I've been using Macs at home for a fair while now.

There are things about Macs I don't like.

There are things about Windows that I do like.

I have a love of the Unix/Linux command line.

I use a PS2 for games and will use a PS3 when it arrives.

The thing is the Mac does what I want and without any fuss.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X