• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor Lifestyle"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    I don't think I'd ever buy a listed property. Way too much hassle when you want to make improvements. I'm glad there are people willing to take them on, though, as we have some fab architecture in this country.

Or, to quote my brother, flatten it all and turn it into flats

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    started a topic Contractor Lifestyle

Contractor Lifestyle

"How to cut the ballooning costs of living in a listed historic home

These properties cost on average 22pc more than non-listed equivalents, and their maintenance can be pricey

It was the neo-gothic window in the hallway that made Nancy Parker fall in love with her home, a Grade II listed house built from honey-coloured Cotswold stone and dating from the 17th century.

“It didn’t matter that it had damp and needed new foundations and a new roof,” she said. “I just adored the charm and history of the place.”

Ms Parker isn’t the only one falling for historic properties: 8,932 listed homes were bought in England and Wales in 2020, the highest figure for at least five years, according to Hamptons estate agency. The majority were in the South of England. The South West accounted for 24pc of sales, followed by the South East at 20pc.

David Fell, of Hamptons, said listed property sales had been driven by the rush to relocate after lockdowns. “It has been caused by more people moving from towns and cities into the countryside in search of more space.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property...historic-home/

Working...
X