• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Technical Documentation - Is there anything worse?"

Collapse

• ratewhore
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    An old boss of mine used to freak if I ever used GOTO's!!
    GOTO is a very good thing - it translates into unconditional JMP and thus makes easy for CPU to predict next branch: a lot of performance drops these days are due to branch mispredictions.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    I've heard COBOL is still quite lucrative. Is that true?

I doubt it. Most companies I know of moved to Micro-Focus COBOL years ago (IBM based stuff (drag and drop) instead of the old ICL mainframe stuff).

I've never contracted as a COBOList so I wouldn't know.

I never see any jobs though.

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    less of it Mr Link Detached Mock Tudor Facade UPvc Conservatory Four Bedrooms even though one is on 2metres square Mercedes A Class and old Landrover Discovery... can anyone else add any more ?

Milan.
    ummm, nice day isnt it....

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Oh happy COBOL days...
    I've heard COBOL is still quite lucrative. Is that true?

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    It hasn't got a GOTO in it...

An old boss of mine used to freak if I ever used GOTO's!! You'd think I'd planted a bomb or something!!

Oh happy COBOL days...

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    Who actually documents their work? I do and good stuff it is to. But god it's boring.
    I am a tech author. If you don't want to do it, I will. My rates are very reasonable. Though not as reasonable as milan's.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Typical amateurs' mistake is have a loop as produced above by MF where a complete lack of delay will cause that piece of code to hog CPU or other resources: since he is not an old timer he does not really have an excuse that at the time of his youth (years that are long gone for good) computers were not multi-tasking so this crappy piece of code would do just fine, which is probably fair enough for DOS v1.0, but certainly not for modern OSes.

Now below is a better piece of code, but it still lacks key element, what is it?

Code:
    Check Tape
    If Tape Full then Change Tape
    If Tape Not Full then Wait
    Execute Delay of X Seconds
    Repeat first Step.

What's this? A coding pissing contest?

FFS!!!

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    Who actually documents their work? I do and good stuff it is to. But god it's boring.

Wish I was more like Milan!

Check Tape
    Repeat first Step.

MF I've always pictured you as the kind of guy who would just untie his horse and go

Leave a comment:

• HankWangford
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope
    Surely you need a change tape subscriber that listens to change tape events from the change tape publisher?

It's pub/sub paradigm innit?
    also need a change factory depending if your dealing with tapes or punch cards

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    fecks sake lads

are you contractors or what

coy paste innit

find some code, copy paste test and adjust

take the credit

sorteeeeeeeed

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I suppose I was wrong as "then Wait" would do what I suggested, that reset my no-post counter for no good reason at all

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Surely you need a change tape subscriber that listens to change tape events from the change tape publisher?

It's pub/sub paradigm innit?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I think you have over-stretched yourself this time AtW.

This loop does not require a delay. You have forgotten that this is based on the Milan Benes Invoicing Machine Operating System.

This automatically has a 30 minute delay between actions, the only hogging of resource the MBIM O/S uses is the bathroom and coffee machine.

Now apologise.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Typical amateurs' mistake is have a loop as produced above by MF where a complete lack of delay will cause that piece of code to hog CPU or other resources: since he is not an old timer he does not really have an excuse that at the time of his youth (years that are long gone for good) computers were not multi-tasking so this crappy piece of code would do just fine, which is probably fair enough for DOS v1.0, but certainly not for modern OSes.

Now below is a better piece of code, but it still lacks key element, what is it?

Code:
    Check Tape
    Execute Delay of X Seconds
    Repeat first Step.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X