• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "US vs UK Contracting & IT Salary Rates"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Fish and Barrel springs to mind.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    Milan works 8 days a week.
    excluding tape changing profession

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by andy
    You are miskaten. Nobody in IT works for 6 days a week in the entire world.
    Milan works 8 days a week.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    You are miskaten. Nobody in IT works for 6 days a week in the entire world.

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    6Days

When I was there the guys didnt work weekends, where does this 6 day week come from? News to me

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    When Jobswerve suddenly started inundating me with job ads from the USA after Christmas, the rates were low for my line of work.
    Don't forget to take into account cost of living, general rule of thumb, don't go by exchange rate, go at a $1=£1 comparison to get it balanced out.

Barring NYC, the cost of living in the whole of the USA is cheaper than the UK and even NYC is only comparable on rent prices. Also further south you go the cheaper it gets.

Not that much of a contractor market in the states though, they have such crap employee rights that they don't really need to hire contractors, they can just hire and fire permies with relative ease instead. Also from what I know virtually impossible to get H1B visa sponsorship for a "contractor" approved.

Another thing to factor in, in the US 6 day working week, 9/10 hours per day is so common it is pretty much the standard for IT (even though your "official" hours will 40/45 hours per week, the extra will be unpaid overtime)

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Just remember that in the US the working conditions are really bad. You'll be in a cubicle with 7 days holiday a year max and will be expected to work 14 hour days, 6 days a week.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    "rent of a flat would be $650 instead of £650. So you don't need to earn as much."

All expenses are paid for.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Anybody know what rates in Canada are like?

I'm definetly interested in upping sticks and getting out of this country in the next few years and canada seems like a good idea. (Plan B brings in a modist income that looks much better with the exchange rate as it is right now).

If you live on the southern border of Canada commuting into the USA is a feasible option and from what I can work out the cost of living is slightly cheaper in Canada.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    A good rule of thumb (outside the expensive cities) is that your outgoings in dollars will be equivalent to what you would pay in pounds here e.g. rent of a flat would be $650 instead of £650. So you don't need to earn as much.
    But if you want to save money to bring back, it's crap ....

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    $650 a day plus expenses. Is that good, is that bad? I don't know?

It also appears that no-one on here knows either. Which surprises me!

Anyone. Anyone out there?
    Now if you intend to do it for the experience, then $650 in the USA will go a long way and you will have a good living.

If you intend to do this to make money to bring back here, then $650 is about £330 which is not that great really.

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Low Rates

I know it differs from city to city but from what I understand the cost of living ia WAY lower then the UK so for about 60-70K $ you will live better than here.

I dont know if this holds true for NY/SF though.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    MF,

how are you going to run your empire from the US of A ?

To answer your question, I think you MF, are indeed out there.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    When Jobswerve suddenly started inundating me with job ads from the USA after Christmas, the rates were low for my line of work.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    http://www.jobstats.com/jobstats.d/O...Resources.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X