• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New Car

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Car"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    It probably does need one before then. Oil changes at least. Beware of long service intervals in cars that are aimed at fleet buyers: less servicing means fewer costs, and who cares if the car dies at 3 years 1 month? It's been sold on by then.
    According to the manual, an oil & Filter change is not classed as a service. You change the oil when it tells you to.

Manual says at around 10k miles.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    My new skoda doesn't require a service until its done 20k miles.
    It probably does need one before then. Oil changes at least. Beware of long service intervals in cars that are aimed at fleet buyers: less servicing means fewer costs, and who cares if the car dies at 3 years 1 month? It's been sold on by then.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    My R Reg Vectra is running like a dream, thinking of stepping up to a new T or even V Reg in the next year or 2.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    I bought my mustang brand new in the States when I worked there. Still going strong, 12 years and over 100k miles later. Still looks cool too - especially here in the UK!!

Sadly, its probably the only new car I will buy!!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Supremo,

you're right he's avoiding the embarressment.

Glad to hear you are happy with your car,
    I am thinking to replace my 6 year old tdi 4x4
    200,000kms with a new 1.9tdi DSG in the summer

all the best,

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Not to mention Giant Alien Lizards in Big Bloo Volvos...
    A lot more common than some people think!

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Threaded at the age of 30 had his second Lamborghini already.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    feck's sake,

kids today eh,

creaming their nads off because of buying a brand new 1.6 golf at thirty years old !!!

haven't laughed so much in ages

it's always fun here when Willi's around, he lifts the stupidity of people here to a new level

is this what new labour have done the uk, made people aspire to owning a 1.6 golf at thirty !!!

whatever next ?

nice one Willy, you are excellent entertainment.

Milan.
    MB,

He's not come back about the 1.4 TSI thing. I don't think he likes being proven wrong...

But we'll forget all about that, eh?
    (Nope, will we hell!)

C.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by el duder
    Picked up my new car from the factory last night.

Was lovely. Brand spanking new, 6 miles on the clock.

Felt very special driving it home.
    Would have been a better story if you'd written off the car a mile from the garage.

(Like a guy I once worked with at the Post Office DP Centre in Farnborough. He packed a 100 grand's worth of monitoring hardware in the boot of his car to take to a site in London, and some white van man slammed into the back of him and trashed the lot (and almost him along with it), and guess what - Due to a mix up with the paperwork, the equipment hadn't been insured!)

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    feck's sake,

kids today eh,

creaming their nads off because of buying a brand new 1.6 golf at thirty years old !!!

haven't laughed so much in ages

it's always fun here when Willi's around, he lifts the stupidity of people here to a new level

is this what new labour have done the uk, made people aspire to owning a 1.6 golf at thirty !!!

whatever next ?

nice one Willy, you are excellent entertainment.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Numptycorner
    Well no, but for commuting it is. If you like to drive down country roads at weekends then petrol with good chassis/suspension and gearbox.

For motorways/long commutes, something with good seats and lots of torque, pref automatic
    I used to commute from manchester to chesterfield, no motorways and only 1 short stretch of dual carriage way in between so a good bit of oomph (170bhp) helped prevent me getting stuck behind tractors, trucks, old people, the stupid and learners

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet
    not entirely true
    Well no, but for commuting it is. If you like to drive down country roads at weekends then petrol with good chassis/suspension and gearbox.

For motorways/long commutes, something with good seats and lots of torque, pref automatic

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet
    not entirely true
    90 -> 0 is my most important criteria

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Numptycorner
    To be fair 50-70 is the only performance figure worth looking at. 0-60 is meaningless, unless you are a boy racer or are on a track.
    not entirely true

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by el duder
    No i went for 1.6 FSI Petrol Engine.

Everyone keeps telling me i should have gone for the diesel?
    I have one of these two months old. We use it only as a second car

Leave a comment:

Working...
X