• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh dear or fair play?"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Nothing better than vultures, is not like they don't know where it has come from.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Im with SB on this one - finders keppers and all that.

PS should you come accross any Polo equipment do let me know.
    It's not your stuff in the containers is it.
    It could be finders keepers, but they have to play by the rules.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy
    Thieves my @rse! These people are just individually exercising their right to claim salvage in exactly the same way the salvage company intends to. Obviously it is reprehensible that some @rseholes have chosen to trash the odd bit of personal property that has been washed up, but that fact does not alter the rights of the vast majority of people that have chosen to recycle these goods quite legally.
    As for the environmental aspects, the blame there lies squarely with the salvage company that chose to beach the vessel in Lyme Bay rather than pulling into Falmouth, presumably with at least the tacit approval of the authorities. People down here pay the highest water rates in the country (I pay more than £1K a year ffs!), and the reason is always put down to all the miles of coastline that have to be maintained. Taking that into consideration it is a bit rich of the authorities to try and prevent them from exercising their legal right to peacefully beachcomb. Another of our rights that will be whipped away amidst a smokescreen of unbalanced, unjustified, hysterical, and disingenuous media reporting!! Grrrrr!!

P.S. Anyone want to buy some slightly salty nappies or a motor bike?
    Im with SB on this one - finders keppers and all that.

PS should you come accross any Polo equipment do let me know.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    looks like the police have had enough

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6290887.stm

"From what I witnessed it was clear that there was no intent to store safely or record goods with the appropriate authorities, as such we will be utilising legislation available to prevent people removing more goods and if necessary using the law to prosecute people through the courts."

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    These people are looters and looters get shot!

Then again, I might just pop down on the weekend and see what I can score!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman

I may have a small mind,

Yes I like things filed away neatly
    And you call ME an automaton?

And Baggy........................

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Highly unlikely, but we are speculating again as none of us know for sure. Well except TLG whose rather small mind seems to be made up for him already. I suspect he prefers it that way, everything filed away neatly in as short a time as possible.
    Oh Shaun, no officers around to tell you what to do and what to think, nobody to read al the thread to you? Never mind. You wont have to live without orders for long, your wife will be back soon.

My first post reads: These people may be salvagers.
    My second reads: Based on the evidence they are nothing but common thieves.
    My reply to you: States why I believe the evidence I used in 2.

I may have a small mind, but that is so much better than being a mindless automaton like yourself. Yes I like things filed away neatly, the random mess in your head explains your moronic statements on most subjects, how do you ever find those moments of clarity you occasionaly come out with.
    I do things quickly and correctly. Right first time saves a lot of effort instead of rambling round a subject like your good self.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    And what a very humble opinion that is. The debate has moved on peabrain. Do try and keep up baggy!
    There you go again, change the record you sad c unt

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    IMHO it is stealing.
    And what a very humble opinion that is. The debate has moved on peabrain. Do try and keep up baggy!

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    It's getting out of control http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Branscombe-bay...QQcmdZViewItem

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    IMHO it is stealing, especially when they are helping themselves to items from a house move.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet
    Given that its only been a couple of work days then I think its highly unlikely that the salvagers will have been given ownership of the items they found.
    Highly unlikely, but we are speculating again as none of us know for sure. Well except TLG whose rather small mind seems to be made up for him already. I suspect he prefers it that way, everything filed away neatly in as short a time as possible.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    And you know for a fact that they have NOT already reported these items and been given permission to keep/sell them do you?
    You obviously know you are wrong or else there would have been a barrage of abuse attached to that and a or two.

As it was a serious question: I do not believe that the people in question have had enough time to fill out a form and send it to the correct office and get a reply telling them they can keep/sell stuff. None of the news web sites state permision has been given.

Permission may have been granted but I doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    And you know for a fact that they have NOT already reported these items and been given permission to keep/sell them do you?
    The form is a 2 page affair which needs filling in and sending (ie posting) to the relevant port authority. They then contact the legal owners and report back to the salvager. Usually for big finds there might be an agent involved who can help negotiate a suitable recovery fee for the salvager.

Given that its only been a couple of work days then I think its highly unlikely that the salvagers will have been given ownership of the items they found.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    They can only claim salvage (as I said in my first reply here) if they report that they have done so and intend to return the property if asked. How does that equate to selling it on ebay?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X