• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Adventure (colossal Caves)"

Collapse

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The last one I played was written in FORTRAN.

Which I found out by looking at the code with a hex viewer.
    Hey lizard!

I used to play advent on a PDP-11 or something... used a viewer to find the debug tool command: GDT. Enabled you to go to all the rooms. Still got stuck on a couple of levels before I left school...

Got me writing FORTRAN code as a kid and then it was all downhill from there.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Pah.

A mere child.

My copy is on an 8 inch floppy.
    Not punched tape?

We had a version running on a Ferranti Argus.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Pah.

A mere child.

My copy is on an 8 inch floppy.
    Reminds me, had a boss back then and EVERY time he used the computer he would ask all the girls in the office "would you like to see my 8" floppy" what a twat.

Compared to you oh green one we are all but babes.

Leave a comment:

• miss marple
    replied
    Sheds a fond tear ~sniffle~

Ahhhh, I remember Adventure well. I did actually manage to get to the end of it once and won. Sign of a mispent youth I suspect

Way back in the mists of time, I recall playing it on a teletype terminal (Old Decwriter III as far as I can remember). You youngun's probably don't know what I'm talking about but it was a computer terminal which had no screen but simply a large, large box of paper feeding into it onto which everything you typed (and the computer responses) was printed.

Thanks for the link whoever it was put it up. I shall probably have a sneaky go when no-ones watching .....

Nostalgia - what would we do without it? The old ones really are the best...

<shuffles off into the twisty maze leaning heavily on zimmer frame >

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    have you a link ?
    Download steam (http://www.steampowered.com) and you can buy it from there. I got X2 and X3 for £15~

Very pretty and as close to Elite as you'll get IMHO

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    no you have to start from scratch - no saving.

I would be interested in getting hold of some old adventure games as my son would like to play them. Being blind there are very few games out there which he can enjoy, but his screen reader could cope with text based adventure games pretty easily.
    The web site says if you register you can save.

I played the game years ago, but never got close to finishing it and my copy is on a 5.25 floppy (yes I am that old).

Another game that I loved but never finished was Zak McKraken and the Alien Mind benders. Would love a copy of that to finish. (No good to you as not text).

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    It was a great day when I finally finished The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I got my life back.

Nowadays I have to put up with things like Ratchet & Clank.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    no you have to start from scratch - no saving.

I would be interested in getting hold of some old adventure games as my son would like to play them. Being blind there are very few games out there which he can enjoy, but his screen reader could cope with text based adventure games pretty easily.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    Try X3, but be prepared to loose every spare waking moment....

I just can't risk getting into it atm
    have you a link ?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    cheers tlg
    Can you save games or are you starting again every time you fail?
    If you can not save then talk to me before using the Babel fish machine. If you can then save before the Babel Fish machine.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    cheers tlg

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead
    Elite, nothing else came near it.
    Try X3, but be prepared to loose every spare waking moment....

I just can't risk getting into it atm

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Yes cos I needed the letter to pass to ford. Why is there anything else in the mail?
    You will need it later, that is all I am saying.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Yes cos I needed the letter to pass to ford. Why is there anything else in the mail?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I'm outside the house in front of the dozer, but can't get any further.

Now in the pub with the beer
    Did you pick up the junk mail? You will need it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X