• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Women in IT

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Women in IT"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    "You make Jade Goody look slim! "

and Jade Goody makes you look inadequate in the trouser department.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    "That's another thing, when they do work in IT it's in the Wintel environments.....not in proper IT. They're all paper-MCSEs. They make Mordac look educated."

Jade Goody makes Mordac look educated!!!
    You make Jade Goody look slim!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    "That's another thing, when they do work in IT it's in the Wintel environments.....not in proper IT. They're all paper-MCSEs. They make Mordac look educated."

Jade Goody makes Mordac look educated!!!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    My experience of techie women in IT is that it tend to be the opposite of a bell curve. You get some fantastic women developers and some who are utter sh!te, but I've never met an average one. I'm assuming that this is because of the chauvanistic attitude in the industry. The ones that succeed are those that are blindingly good, know it, and stick with it. The ones that are crap are so pig-headed that they stick with it through sheer stubbornness. The average developers get so pissed off with the male dominated environment that they eventually move out of the industry.

Two of the best developers I've ever worked with in IT have been women. And I'm not a Wintel developer either, so that stereotype can be thrown out of the window too.

Conversely, every single one of the average, lazy, in it for the money types have been men.
    Feckthe pc bulltulip. Essentially men are more logical, hence they are better at IT.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    My experience of techie women in IT is that it tend to be the opposite of a bell curve. You get some fantastic women developers and some who are utter sh!te, but I've never met an average one. I'm assuming that this is because of the chauvanistic attitude in the industry. The ones that succeed are those that are blindingly good, know it, and stick with it. The ones that are crap are so pig-headed that they stick with it through sheer stubbornness. The average developers get so pissed off with the male dominated environment that they eventually move out of the industry.

Two of the best developers I've ever worked with in IT have been women. And I'm not a Wintel developer either, so that stereotype can be thrown out of the window too.

Conversely, every single one of the average, lazy, in it for the money types have been men.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by DGK
    That's another thing, when they do work in IT it's in the Wintel environments.....not in proper IT. They're all paper-MCSEs. They make Mordac look educated.
    Hey look who it is, Hell, Hull and Half-a-penis is back. 'Scuse me while I piss my pants.

Leave a comment:

• vista
    replied
    Birds in IT

In 22 years in this game I've met a few female 'managers' that were good, many BA's that were OK, a few female PM's that delivered but I've only come across 2 female techies that were OK. I think to be a really good techie you have to commit so much time and effort and sacrifice so many other areas of your life that women generally won't so we don't get the female super-techie.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by MobileCheese
    If you are a women in IT and slightly good looking and technical you will go far these days, defo a case of postive descrimation but I dont mind
    I agree, I see it happen. I don't mind though, I'm a contractor!

Leave a comment:

• MobileCheese
    replied
    Actually Ive met a lot of women in IT, admitadely most have been not the prettest of ladies but some have been stunners. Hate to say it but if you are a women in IT and slightly good looking and technical you will go far these days, defo a case of postive descrimation but I dont mind

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Vicar of Dibley

Originally posted by SallyAnne
    What were your gf's like before her? Or has she been the only serious one?

Theres no excuse for being lazy in bed though - fat or thin. Was she like that because she had the lord with her?
    Look at Dawn French, she got to marry the handsome Guy of Gisburn. Women dont come much fatter than her and few men are better looking than Guy

Mind you he does apparently have to tie a large plank of wood accross his arse when he goes down on her to stop himself from f"alling in"

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by el duder
    Well, maybe i do need a change of perspective. Listen my ex-GF wasnt exactly slim, she had a decent rear end on her and large mammories, but she was lazy in the bedroom. Her attitude was always, i lie here and you do the work.

Plus, i wouldnt go as far as saying im that shallow...

"I wont fancy her unless she is thin/blonde/6ft" are shallow, pure and simple. .

What were your gf's like before her? Or has she been the only serious one?

Theres no excuse for being lazy in bed though - fat or thin. Was she like that because she had the lord with her?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by el duder
    Well, maybe i do need a change of perspective. Listen my ex-GF wasnt exactly slim, she had a decent rear end on her and large mammories, but she was lazy in the bedroom. Her attitude was always, i lie here and you do the work.

"I wont fancy her unless she is thin/blonde/6ft" are shallow, pure and simple. .
    And who's going to bed alone tonight? I bet she isn't!

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    Are you ever planning on changing the record?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    People who stick to a "I wont fancy her unless she is thin/blonde/6ft" are shallow, pure and simple. .
    Need a quick poll on how many 'shallow' people are on this board

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Are you ever planning on changing the record?
    Yeah, when I get bored of your witty responses.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X