• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Italian Lakes

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Italian Lakes"

Collapse

• kaiser78
    replied
    Avoid driving as much of the route through France as you can. Especially during the 2 week summer shut down. We did this a couple of years back and was a total nightmare...

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    The later ones were rust buckets though. Don't know what happened to Italian cars in the 70s/80s. I had a Fiat Strada and the body work literally disintegrated.
    "body work literally disintegrated"

Same here. I bought a Lancia Beta 1600 sedan in 1978. The paint finish was excellent (they were already using base coat and lacquer, when UK manufacturers were still using solid metallic paints), the build quality was excellent and they went better and handled better than any equivalent UK car did at the time. The Austin Maxi was virtually the same price, but looked like something from a previous age. However, it ended its days in a scrap yard after just 7 years. The root cause has been variously attributed to poor Russian steel. Perhaps a wake up call for those using Chinese steel now.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    "They don't make 'em like that anymore"

one of its derivatives lasted until 2012 according to Wiki.
    The later ones were rust buckets though. Don't know what happened to Italian cars in the 70s/80s. I had a Fiat Strada and the body work literally disintegrated.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Stopped somewhere on Lake Como when we drove to Venice via France, Switzerland and Austria when I was about 7. Don't remember much about Como itself but went up the Grossglockner pass on the way there which was pretty impressive. Not as impressive as the car that got us there and back though. A 1969 Fiat 124 1200 cc with 4 of us plus an old canvas frame tent and the kitchen sink on the roof rack. They don't make 'em like that anymore...
    "They don't make 'em like that anymore"

one of its derivatives lasted until 2012 according to Wiki.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Agreed on Verona. I have travelled around northern Italy extensively. Verona and Parma were both within reach of the lakes. Two sensational small cities (vegetarians need not apply). [emoji13]

Quick exit...

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni is the place on Como. Dine at La Punta right on the headland for possibly one of the best dining views in the world and you have to try the Missoltini, a speciality of the area. Yes expensive, but worth every penny. Early May is good for the gardens. Not much else apart from a few lake towns to see nearby (They are invariably all nice and pleasant).

Stayed around Garda a few times, lots to do. Best to stay at the southern end, Densenzano is nice, bit touristy but has a ferry port to access the rest of the lake (seriously study the timetable though, as quite easy to end up stranded at the wrong end of the lake. Also handy for Verona, an incredibly beautiful city even by Italian standards. Eat at Ristorante al Pompiere | Trattoria storica e di classe a Verona, cucina tradizionale if in Verona (Booking is almost essential, or was when I went). They have an outstanding selection of cold cuts, almost like a wine list. In the 20 years of travelling to Italy this was the best all round meal I have had. Around this area white wine = Lugana red = Valpolicella go for Ripasso, amarone is over priced in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Stopped somewhere on Lake Como when we drove to Venice via France, Switzerland and Austria when I was about 7. Don't remember much about Como itself but went up the Grossglockner pass on the way there which was pretty impressive. Not as impressive as the car that got us there and back though. A 1969 Fiat 124 1200 cc with 4 of us plus an old canvas frame tent and the kitchen sink on the roof rack. They don't make 'em like that anymore...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    We stayed in Tremezzo* (on Como) as part of out honeymoon.
    It's opposite Bellagio, which is well worth a visit (you can get the ferry across from the next town) but I wouldn't stay there.
    It's also next to Mezzegra, where you can visit the spot where Mussolini was shot.
    You can pretend to be James Bond driving through the tunnels on the way, which is a bonus. You probably won't bump into George Clooney, even though he has a place nearby, and every local you meet claims to be a close personal friend!

*Grand Hotel Tremezzo: luxury 5 star hotel on Lake Como, Italy

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Don't forget you will have to buy a "vignette" Swiss road toll, as you cross the border into Switzerland.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. Lots there for me to be getting on with.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    You can only snap at their heels if you aren't wearing a muzzle? They own the muzzle, and the leashes.

Free your mind rather.

Quick exit...
    yes, and I've been muzzled!

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    "I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I have resigned my IPSE Membership from 4 June, 2019. IPSEXit."

I'm staying in, if it's only to snap at the heels of the BoD.
    You can only snap at their heels if you aren't wearing a muzzle? They own the muzzle, and the leashes.

Free your mind rather.

Quick exit...

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    Personally, I thought that Garda was a bit tacky, and underwhelming.

Early May will be rather chilly, since it is just south of the Alps.
    "I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I have resigned my IPSE Membership from 4 June, 2019. IPSEXit."

I'm staying in, if it's only to snap at the heels of the BoD.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Hiya,

Holiday planning for next year - we're at Monaco for the Historic Grand Prix in May and we're driving down. We go every two years and normally make it a 10 or 12 day round trip. This time my wife wants to visit the lakes in Northern Italy and I fancy a bit of derestricted Autobahn. I was thinking of doing the stretch from Baden-Baden to Freiburg im Bressau, staying overnight in Freiburg and then heading down to Northern Italy through Switzerland.

I know there's a few people here who have done stints in Switzerland and whatnot. Does anyone have any recommendations for that part of The World? - we don't really want to visit The Black Forest, we'd prefer Como, Maggiore or Garda for a few days. Anywhere particularly nice that we should consider taking in or other recommendations? Lake Como looks picturesque.

Andy
    Be sure to visit Isola Bella on Lake Maggiore. There's a four poster bed there where Napoleon is reputed to have slept! Also don't forget if going to Milan, that the painting of the last supper is in a church there. When my daughter (she's artistic) visited me when I was working in Milan, she only realised this last minute, but only arrived at the church after it had closed to the public and we were flying back the next day.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Lake Lugano is lovely and a short drive over to Como if you want a look.

We stayed and would recommend Parco San Marco Parco San Marco Holiday & Family Hotel on Lake Lugano

Lugano itself is in Switzeland but Parco is just 20 minutes away over the border in Italy. They have a beach where you can hire boats and the food is fantastic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X