• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Whatever happened to Bird Flu...?"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The Black Death, that's the answer... killed about a third of the population off.

Ended serfdom in this country.

For the plebs that survived...

Yes, that was a time of great upward mobility in this country, from baldrick to squire in two generations. Maybe that will happen again, with the chavs this time, wot wot

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    But then - if we had a population crash - the demand for houses would drop and there would be a crash. Doomed etc

... but the supply of contractors would also drop - and rates would increase.

This economics is tricky stuff!!

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Forget what it is called, there will be another flu epidemic that wipes out swathes of the population.

The signs are there for all to see.
    Maybe we could do with it, we're not exactly short of population.

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Forget what it is called, there will be another flu epidemic that wipes out swathes of the population.

The major population centres (especially London) are more crowded than they have ever been, unsustainably so. Diseases we thought we had wiped out are remerging in more virulent form, more and more resistant to treatment.

Communication, susceptibility, lack of treatment.

Look at modern history and you can see what will happen

Doomed I tell ye!
    Won't get me though.

Hard as nails me.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied

The major population centres (especially London) are more crowded than they have ever been, unsustainably so. Diseases we thought we had wiped out are remerging in more virulent form, more and more resistant to treatment.

Communication, susceptibility, lack of treatment.

Look at modern history and you can see what will happen

Doomed I tell ye!

Leave a comment:

• TheOmegaMan
    replied
    Look, all you have to do is turn up at the polling station and tick the box on the ballot paper. Your leaders are your betters - they are better educated, better paid, and better looking. They are born to lead, you are born to shovel sh*t.

In times past, you would all be beheaded for this talk and your heads stuffed on poles outside the city gates. With the anti-terror legislation this dream will soon be a reality.

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    LOL

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    Originally posted by freakydancer
    Haven't had that yet, but will bare it in mind should the situation arise.

Red Bull sorted out TB though.
    Does exactly what it says on the tin - "Lucozade aids recovery"

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    Wasn't at Porton Down by any chance?
    Alas no.

I've always had to pay for my acid.

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
    Did you also use the Lucozade cure for your Aids?
    Haven't had that yet, but will bare it in mind should the situation arise.

Red Bull sorted out TB though.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    I have worked for the government, but always put the illnesses down to coincidence.

Hmmmm.
    Wasn't at Porton Down by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    Yep, that too.

Chicken soup for a few days and I was fine.
    Did you also use the Lucozade cure for your Aids?

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Are you a civil servant? They get all sorts of illnesses
    I have worked for the government, but always put the illnesses down to coincidence.

Hmmmm.

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    Ebola?
    Yep, that too.

Chicken soup for a few days and I was fine.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    I had that aswell.

Sweated it out.

Are you a civil servant? They get all sorts of illnesses

Leave a comment:

Working...
X